Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nivekk59

nivekk59

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:18 PM

My system would not boot. I determined that it could not find the hard drive. I bought a new hard drive and installed the OS (vista 64) and drivers.

All was well.

I wanted to see if I could recover lost data on the failed drive. I re-booted with the failed drive connected. I was prompted to insert the Vista 64 disk, which I did. I ran the start-up repair and it came back with an error in the bootmgr. I clicked OK to repair the problem. A box popped up immediately stating that the repair had failed. This was a big mistake!

Now the system will not boot with the new drive, the old drive or both. When I try to re-install the OS it cant find a drive.

I am at a loss, what to do next?

I built the machine myself, some specs:

Gigabyte GA EP45 DS3L Motherboard

Intel Quad core Q6600. 2.4

Memory OCZ DDR2 2x2G

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

Update: At start-up, I opened the boot menu and made it boot from the cd/rom first. This prevented it from trying to boot from the corrupted boot file on the new HD. I had tried to effect this through the BIOS menus to no avail. It booted ok and when I went to install the OS it found the new drive.

So far so good, I'm installing my drivers now.

So the question now is what is the right way to go about trying to recover the data on the old drive, assuming it is not a physical problem.

I think the system can see it on some level because it messed up the booting process when I connected it. I take this as a hopeful sign.

I have this suspicion that I will will need to change the IDE settings so when I connect it the corrupted boot file on it does not prevent me from booting off the new disk. Do I set it as a slave?

Any thoughts?

BTW, the drives are Seagate Barracuda 1 Tb SATA drives.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

If both drives are indeed SATA...your comments re "IDE settings" do not apply at all. Nor do questions about Master/Slave jumpers.

Just connect the drive as anything other than the boot drive.

You may need to take ownership of Docs/Settings folders/files in order to move them from the old drive to the new one.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft

Louis

#4 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for your input Louis.

I connected the bad drive to SATA port 5 and the computer started fine but I could not find the drive. I looked for it in Advanced BIOS Features page, I thought it might show up in HD Boot Priority. It also was not found once windows opened up.

I moved it to SATA port 2 and when I went to Advanced Bios Settings no drives were found in HD Boot Priority. I turned the computer off at that point because I know exactly where that rabbit hole leads, I was there earlier today.

I just wish I could boot to a command line and delete the boot file on the "bad" HD so it would stop messing things up.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:30 PM

Well...I guess I don't know why you fail to put the SATA drives in SATA ports 1 & 2.

SATA 1 will appear in the boot order first, then SATA 2, etc.

The boot drive should be in the SATA 1 port, the other drive can go anywhere else, but why not put it in the SATA 2 port?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...me=GA-EP45-DS3L

Louis

#6 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the link Louis, I was out there earlier today updating my BIOS.

I connected the drive to SATA port 2 and when I went to Advanced Bios Settings no drives were found in HD Boot Priority. I turned the computer off at that point because I know exactly where that rabbit hole leads, I was there earlier today.

I inspected the drive and it has no rattles and no other obvious defects.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

I need a picture of your main BIOS page...the one reflecting the time, date, and drives installed.

Can you upload that?

If the drive appears on the main page, it should appear under the boot options portion of your BIOS...since you have onboard SATA support. If your drives don't appear in the BIOS, both on the main page and under the boot options...then it seems to me that you have a hardware problem...not a boot.ini problem.

FWIW: The boot.ini file has nothing at all to do with the BIOS. The boot.ini points, based on the BIOS, to the partition where the system can expect to find Windows files/folders to be used in setting up/running the O/S.

Louis

#8 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

Attached are pics of the main BIOS page. The first one, image 10, is from when the problem drive was connected to SATA port 2. No drives were detected. The second image, 13, shows that when this drive is not connected the good drive is found in port 1.

Of course, these pages reflect what was found under boot options.

Curious, why does the old drive prevent the system from seeing the new one?

Thanks for you help,

Kevin

Attached Files

• Attached File  010.jpg   210.93KB   15 downloads
  • Attached File  013.gif   253.2KB   12 downloads

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

Something is wrong with your BIOS settings.

That drive reflected in your first graphic is your CD/DVD drive, not a hard drive. It's OK, as reflected, because you have it attached to your sole IDE connector.

Your motherboard has 1 IDE connection and 6 SATA connectors...a total of 8 drives possible (because 2 can go on the 1 IDE connector).

That graphic reflects 2 SATA and 3 IDE connectors in the configuration...which can only be accurate if you have the board configured as a RAID.

A RAID would have 4 of the SATA drives reflected as 2 drives in the BIOS, with only the 2 other SATA drives and the 1 IDE slot reflected accurately (since you are not using a RAID). 4 plus 2 plus 2 equals 8 drives possible.

In short...you need to change (in the BIOS) a setting that calls for a RAID setup.

Look thru your BIOS settings for one that says something like "RAID enabled" and change the setting to a negative. You do not want RAID enabled.

Once that is done and BIOS changes saved by hitting F10...you should be able to put your two drives in the first two SATA ports and see each of them.

Louis

#10 nivekk59

nivekk59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

There is nothing about RAID controllers in my BIOS. I do not have a RAID controller either.

SATA AHCI mode is disabled which means it operates in "IDE Emulation". It seems like I might want to go to AHCI mode at some point, but there are some issues with switching, so I will put that on hold.

I tried everything to get the old HD to work, including freezing, to no avail. I took it back to microcenter and they said it was fried.

So I guess this is the end of this thread. Thanks again for your help Louis.

Kevin

PS: I'm starting a new thread because I can't get my system to find my DVD Writer, related problems? I hope not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users