Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG resistant malware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shart4legged

shart4legged

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

Here we go lets see if I can give the members a good description of what is happening and get some help. First the system: AMD athlon 64 3000+ processor, 3 gig ram, Fire gl 7400 graphics card, dual monitors. All was setup and running fine untill last thursday. Oct 23. No new hard ware or software additions AVG internet security 7.5 protection suite. (purchased not "free") Windows XP pro sp2 os. I tried installing sp3 and had major difficulties. Uninstalled sp3 used system restore and all was well untill this past thusday. I was surfing a you tube video when my computer
spontaneously rebooted. I got the MSI splash screen and then the screen that says sorry for the inconvenieance, your computer had to restart, windows cannot start normally. and gives a list of selections. I am able to start in safe mode so I ran AVG and at a certain point the computer reboots again without finishing the scan. I updated to AVG.8 (again purchased not free, my licsence is still valid.) Booted to safe mode ran the scan again(several times) With the same result, the scan does not finish and the computer reboots. I have tried system restore also to no avail. Suggestions Please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

In safemode, see if you can turn off "Reboot on system failure". When it does it again, write down or copy/paste what it says exactly

Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 shart4legged

shart4legged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:00 AM

In safemode, see if you can turn off "Reboot on system failure". When it does it again, write down or copy/paste what it says exactly

Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit

Thanks for the quick response. I did as you suggested,and got the windows stop screen.
A problem has been detected etc.etc. then the message: IRQL_not_less_or_equal.
Check new hardware or software etc. and then stop: OxOOOOOOA OxBA6CO78 OxOOOOOO2 OxOOOOO1 Ox8O51E331. As I said in my original post I have not added any new hardware or software recently. I might add the computer functions o.k. in safe mode ,
Thanks again
Steve

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:36 AM

You're going to have to do a bit of troubleshooting. Start reading this until I get back and we'll have a look. See if you can locate your mini-dump logs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063
This will explain the dump logs:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Edited by garmanma, 28 October 2008 - 10:42 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 shart4legged

shart4legged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

Hello again, let me thank you again for your help and commend everyone involved for truly magnificant site. I have been reading somewhat randomly within various topics and am truly impressed with the knowledge and expertise available here.
Let me bring you up to date on what I've been doing. Last night,or early this morning after reading some other posts I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes. It found and I deleted the usual bunch of tracking cookies as well as a couple of fake malware scanners I downloaded trying to fix this problem. Antispyware 2008 or 2009 are not among these. Latter this morning I turned on the machine and it booted normally but a bit slow, not terribly slow but slower than what I normally expect. I let the computer run while I did the morning chores and allowed AVG to begin it's scheduled scan. all went well for about an hour and fifty minutes when the computer shut down and I got the blue screen and another batch of stop codes. Specifically 0x0000000A, 0xBB4DODAC, 0x00000002, 0x00000000 and 0x805136B1.
I shut down, rebooted, and rebooted normally, if again a bit slow. I then checked the BC site again, read your post and have read the "How to receive help diagnosing Blue screens and Windows crashes. I have gone as far as locating my mini dump files and attempted to open with wordpad. I get a bunch of symbols that mean nothing to me. So I suppose the debugger is next. Any suggestions, instructions before I proceed? Overall performance of the machine has improved but appears to me that there is still a piece of malware that doesn't want to be exorcised by AVG as now the only time Windows crashes is when I try to run a complete AVG scan.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

Before we get involved with dump logs, Open your Device Manager and expand all of the +'s. Look for any yellow exclamation points, red X's or question marks. If there are any, write down what they are by. Also check the Event Viewer for any instances that happened around the same time as the bluescreen. Copy/paste them on your next post.

Event Viewer:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
Device Manager:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307970
Mark
Posted Image

#7 shart4legged

shart4legged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Warning 10/24/2008 12:44:43 AM Userenv None 1517 SYSTEM Warning 10/22/2008 1:29:38 AM Userenv None 1517 SYSTEM OWNER-A51BDEBC0
Error 10/22/2008 5:25:35 AM Dnscache None 11004 N/A OWNER-A51BDEBC0

Mark,
Sorry it took so long to post back, some things on the ranch demanded my attention last night and most of the day. I tried to post earlier and send all the system and application event logs ,but that is obviously a no-no. It's a bit much to expect you folks to wade through all that extraneous information I suppose, but I am not sure I can always identify the most significant events.
To update you, the computer is getting worse, yesterday it would boot normally and run for an hour more or less before crashing. Now I can only boot in safe mode. I am also getting different codes on the blue screen, the latest being "A driver corrupted pool memory used for pages destined for disk." Stop:0x000000DE, 0x00000002, 0xE211FA40, 0x3950E8C2.
I wish these messages were less cryptic and in plain english.
The first two items above this text are from the application event log, the third item is from the system event log. When I check device manager the only device that shows any warning icon is the printer and the information provided is that status of the device is not available in safe mode, no other warning icons or red Xs appear when the items are expanded. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users