Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

im wondering whether my bps speed on the internet is normal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ashton_r

ashton_r

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:59 PM

my current bps i have says exactly:2761714bytes recievedand589563bytes sent@32000 bps.

Edited by ashton_r, 03 May 2005 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

I don't know exactly what a "normal" speed is. Your listed speed is not particularly high. But what your actual speed is would be another question. Just because it says "3200 bps" doesn't mean you're actually reaching speeds anywhere near that. It's just your "connection" speed.

Chances are you could be downloading three things at once and actually get near that speed. But with only one thing in a single stream, you won't.

If you want to see what your actual speed really is, I recommend you check out a program called Netstat Live! from AnalogX. It's free, and it can be of some use, since it also contains the ability to ping and traceroute as well as monitoring both download and upload speeds.

Netstat Live

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

If you have FF or Mozilla, there is an extension called "bandwidth tester" that will give you information.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:29 AM

Good answers, guys.

I hadn't run across either of those ways to figure out answers to those questions.
It seems with a 56K modem it should @ 50,000 or so. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:42 AM

My personal view is that (providing you havn't limited the modem to 33kbps by accident) your connection speed - the 32000bps in this case - is limited by the quality of your ISP's equipment and the quality of your phone line.
With a 56k modem you should dialup at 56000bps but I've rarely seen anyone connect at over 48000bps and its normally more like 42000bps.
If ashton_r routinely connects at 32000bps I'd check the modem speed settings and check there are no wierd init strings configured. If they are OK then complain to the phone company about noise on your line.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 sallyb

sallyb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:14 AM

Before I had computer last worked on I was getting a connection speed of 26,500-+BPS. And site connnection was therefore slow. He installed a fax talk modem(intel®536EPV.92) with cd to install upgraded driver. Now I connect at 110,000 +-BPS and connect to sites much more rapidly.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:46 AM

Yes I've seen a couple of instances where systems say they have connected at 115,000bps or similar - this is fiction because the maximum connection speed over dial up is 56,000bps. I've no idea why they do that.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:52 AM

Whoever set up that modem for sallyb configured it to show the port speed rather than the bps. Its an old trick that makes people happy. I've seen this used by the tech people at ISP's when they can't come up with anything else.

With many 56k modems, it is necessary for the PORT speed to be 57,600 or 115,200 in order to get a 56k connection.

Most computers serial ports will not work at a rate higher than 115,200.

See DUNS Connectoids. ModemSite.com is a great resource for dialup users.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:57 AM

My personal view is that (providing you havn't limited the modem to 33kbps by accident) your connection speed - the 32000bps in this case - is limited by the quality of your ISP's equipment and the quality of your phone line.

I tend to think the fact that the wall jack is located some 100' from the house connection might be exercising some influence. Nocharge has always yielded a steady 50.6 K for me, so the ISP quality seems less a factor. Good point, though, Rimmer.

Good link, Leurgy ... I'm always on the lookout for dialup modem info. The modem is a Conexant Soft56 PCI modem I think, like the example at DUNS Connectoids, and those settings in the Connection Wizard in win98 (or winXP for that matter) have always puzzled me to some degree.

So, ashton_r, there is some good information for you to think about.

Maybe a cable connection might be in your future, too.
It will by-pass the 56K modem by using another one, much faster.
The service provided by an ISP in high-speed isn't free, though.

The extensions that jgweed mentioned are available to download and install at the Firefox/mozilla site, and you might want to try the "bandwidth tester". The extensions come in all sizes and types, meant to enhance or improve the "functionality of the browser" ... what it can do. You can experiment with them, as they can be tried and
uninstalled without much if any problem(s) or bother. Something to do when you wonder what they can do to improve the way you spend your time online.

As you know by now, some game sites are not entirely free.
Some need free download program files (DPLs) or what are called ActiveX or Java applets. You just have to try different things and learn what works and what doesn't.

The games here at BC can be fun, free and we hope to see you in some tournaments sometime. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 xtraloud

xtraloud

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:13 AM

Will this help ?

I am using dsl and get about 1100 Mbps, let us know how it works with dial-up.

x

internet connection speed

Edited by xtraloud, 08 May 2005 - 07:14 AM.

Those who wander
are not always lost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users