Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows damaged after spyware infection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scoot1984

scoot1984

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

I was recently infected with AntispywareXP 2009. Using the guide available on this website, I sucessfully removed the unwanted program (thank you very much). There are, however, some lingering effects. Many programs are not functioning properly. Most, if not all shortcuts are now useless. Upon starting windows, an intstaller (entitled trayapp) immediately appears and tells me that I need a CD to continue. In short, my computer is a mess. I would like to point out that these problems started along with the arrival of AntispywareXP 2009, and were definately not a result of the removal process. I have a funny feeling that I will need to reformat my hard drive. The only thing I have tried thus far is system restore, which as expected did not work. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

Try running the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users