Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help, fast!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 computerclueless

computerclueless

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:52 PM

I need help, badly. My computer is swamped with pop-ups and there's this invisble program called BMan, that I'm not sure what it is but I want to get rid of it. Does anyone know what I can do to clear up my computer?

Oh, I do have Spybot: Search and Destroy but that doesn't seem to work.
"I'm computer clueless. I seriously am. So clueless, in fact, when I first got my computer, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off for an hour. I mean, come on, how is someone like me going to look for the button to turn off the computer on the Start Menu?" - Personal Quote

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:37 PM

You have come to the right place computerclueless :thumbsup:

But you may have some work ahead of you to get everything fixed. Start Here:
Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

Also download, update and run this:
A-squared complements anti-virus software by specializing in detecting Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. It is free for private use but registration is required.
Download it from here: A-squared

Then do the following but do NOT run the program:
  • Create a new folder, under the C: drive, called "hjt". If it already exists delete any files that may be in it. If you have a shortcut to HijackThis on the desktop, delete it.
  • Download the latest version of HijackThis from the following link:
    HijackThis Download Link
    In the 'Save To:' box type "c:\hjt"

• Unzip HijackThis to the folder you created:
    Navigate to the hjt folder and double click on the HijackThis.zip file. For WindowsXP in the left hand column click 'Extract all Files' the Extraction Wizard will pop up. Click Next, then Browse. Select the HJT folder you created, then click OK. OR If you have WinZip installed you answer 'Agree' and a window will open showing you HijackThis.exe inside the zip file. Click the 'Extract' icon. An extract window will open. In the 'Folders/Drives' section select the C: drive and then the 'hjt' folder. In the "Extract to:" pane it should show "c:\hjt". Select the "All files" button and tick "Overwrite existing files" then click the "Extract" button on the right. Close Winzip.
You should now have HijackThis.exe in your hjt folder.

Let us know if that helps and also some more details about your system. :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 03 May 2005 - 10:01 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 computerclueless

computerclueless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:29 PM

Thank you so much! I'm going to download the programs you told me to. Hopefully, those will work and I shall be free from pop-ups! I'll come back and tell you how things are working out. Thanks a ton, once more. :thumbsup:
"I'm computer clueless. I seriously am. So clueless, in fact, when I first got my computer, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off for an hour. I mean, come on, how is someone like me going to look for the button to turn off the computer on the Start Menu?" - Personal Quote

#4 computerclueless

computerclueless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:28 PM

I'm having a problem with Hijack this. I went into WinZip and it the extract thing like you said but it just made the file disappear. What should I do?

#5 computerclueless

computerclueless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

I'm stilling having trouble with BMan even though I have absolutely no clue what it is. And I can't figure out what to do with HijackThis. Please respond, I just want to get rid of it once and for all.

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

Hi computerclueless,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with HijackThis. Did you download the .zip file? If so let's try the self-extracting version. Click on the following tutorial link and follow those instructions to get a HijackThis log posted.

How to post a HijackThis Log

The download link in that tutorial is for the self-extracting HJT, since it seems you're having trouble with Winzip. And be sure to post your log in the HJT forum that is also linked to in the tutorial.

Post back here if you have any problems at all. Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:52 AM

Sorry I missed your reply on the 15th, follow Papakid's instructions and see if that works for you.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 computerclueless

computerclueless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

Thank you so much! I posted the log on the HJT board. I want you thank you guys for all your help. Believe, my computer would probably be fried if it wasn't for the two of you :thumbsup: So, thanks Rimmer and Papakid!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users