Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrative privileges

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SilverSol

SilverSol

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

My laptop won't let me modify anything. I recently tried to install a router program but it told me that I don't have admin. privileges. Yet, I'm the only user and I'm set as "administrator". Help!
Knowledge does not cure opinion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:12 AM

Hi,

With the introduction of User Account Control (UAC) in Vista there has been a lot of issues with admin access.

When trying to run the set-up file, try right-clicking first and selecting "Run As Administrator", this tells Vista that you are wanting to run the file/program as full access rather than the restricted admin access it has set-up.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 KTFire

KTFire

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

Not all setup files will alow you to Right CLick and select run as administrator. Some times the only way to get a program to install sucessfully on a Vista is to disable the UAC.
Got to the Control Panel and click UserSccounts. then type in UAC int he search box located in the upper right corner of the window. It will now display a link for Turn on or off the User Account Control. CLick that link and Uncheck the box to use the User Account Control to protect your computer. The computer will need to restart for the change to take effect.
You can enable it again after the program is installed if you like.
In addition, in order to run the program after it's installed you'll need to right click it and run as adminstrator as long as you decide to keep the UAC on.
Hope this helps

#4 SilverSol

SilverSol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

Great. Thanks for the input.
Knowledge does not cure opinion.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

Let us know how you get on so other members can use this thread in future.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

I have recently encountered a somewhat similar problem. I decided to delete some files I no longer need. Hah! - as if Vista would allow me to delet something that I created in the first place! I do not have permission to delete my own files!

UAC is off, I have tried setting full permissions for myself as administrator and as a user and the administrator both; I have tried everything I can think of and I still can't get this pos to let me delete those friggin' files.

So here is the question - what do I have to do with this pos OS so that I am able to do whatever I want with any file, regardless of what it is. Hell, the damned thing won't even let me move the files in question to a different directory.

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

I have recently encountered a somewhat similar problem. I decided to delete some files I no longer need. Hah! - as if Vista would allow me to delet something that I created in the first place! I do not have permission to delete my own files!

Well, that's Vista 4 ya....protecting the user from himself. :huh:

Go here and install Unlocker http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Get the download link in the middle of the page, save to your desktop and install it.

Right click on the file(s) you wish to delete and select "Unlock". Follow instructions and you should be able to delete the files.

Be careful...use this only as a last resort and be sure that the file is not legitimately in use otherwise you may lose data or have Windows behave strangely.

Good luck. :huh:

#8 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

This tutorial may be of interest.

Set up Real Admin Account in Vista

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

as if Vista would allow me to delet something that I created in the first place! I do not have permission to delete my own files!

Gosh. I have no problem doing whatever I want on my machine, or on any of my machines, all of which run Vista. Of course, I actually know how to use it. Can I be of some assistance?

#10 judda

judda

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Hello groovicus

LOL, a little sarchasim goes a long, long way.

The guys here are real hard working helpful people, Thank God, you should fit straight in......us lesser mortals, who don't know 'how to' need you. Hail Groovicus....

Thanks for the smile.

Judda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users