Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! ACER 1681 CD/DVD not working!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 woodie

woodie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

Greetings all.

I have a problem with my Acer Aspire 1681wlmi, which I have had for 6 months...
The CD/DVD Drive doesn't work. I can't eject/open the disc tray, and the E drive does not even feature in 'My Computer'. The disc that is in there can not be read. When I press the eject button, the orange LED comes on and the disc tray whirrs a little, but doesn't open.

I tried a system restore - didn't work.

1. Has anyone else had this problem - if so, what happened
2. I emailed Acer and they just told me to send it in, I really can't afford to with the amount of work I am doing on it at the moment

So, it would be very, very much appreciated if any of you guys could help me out!!

Edited by woodie, 03 May 2005 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

i think it is just stuck..
turn off ur pc and gently insert a straightend office pin inside the small hole just bellow your cd tray. this should release the cd tray.

good luck

jb

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:03 AM

If the drive's not listed in 'My Computer', check the BIOS. When the PC loads hit the Del key or whatever is appropriate for your machine. The first item in the menu will be the Basic Parameters (or something like that) in which it will list the Hard drives and CDROM or DVD drives that are detected. If your drive is not detected there it is most likely dead and needs replacement. Warranty time. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users