Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow start menu and Desktop icons dissappear

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Parksy

Parksy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

Hi, My system runs applications/Web browsing and games very well. But now and then If I go, start>all programs, and then go to view various applications from the menu, they take maybe 1-3 seconds to view the contents on the menus......Also sometimes I will exit a explorer window and my desktop icons pictures would have disappeared, but only again for 1-3 seconds before I can see the icon picture, not just the 'file' icon!!

My specs : AN-M2HD/4800+ X2/2gb DDr2 800mhz/160gb Maxtor Diamond 10 SATA/ Corsair 650PSU/8800 EVGA 640GT...

I have the latest chipset/Video/Audio drivers and XP is fully uptodate......

Its a strange one but even my work laptop running at 1.7 with 512mb ram seems more responsive than my PC, as I said before tho gaming runs perfect, encoding/decoding is quick, HD content plays flawlessly.......

Any help would be great

Thanks in advance guys/gals

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

Do you defragment regularly?

It sounds like its struggling to find the files on the drive.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Parksy

Parksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

Hi, yeah regulary use Auslogic disk defrag.....Another thing perhaps I shold mention, I have an external 500gb seagate agent attached.....occasinally when it has been idle it takes a while it 'kick' in too access it and everything halts until it does......Cold this be a cause, I will unplug it when I get home and try it, but dont think its the cause????

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

When XP has a problem communicating with any hard drive attached...it tends to cause some sort of "bubble" that is evident, in my experience.

The typical thing I have noticed is that accessing My Computer may reflect a delay until proper communication is established.

I suggest checking the connections for the drive in question.

Louis

#5 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Check your start up programs START>RUN>MSCONFIG see if there are unwanted programs running at startup. Also do you you symantec or Norton. Sometimes these programs will cause your Icons and start menu to act strange make sure that if you do have them they are updated. Also you may want to think about bumping up your virtual memory as well.

Edited by ice2921, 27 October 2008 - 11:24 AM.

#6 Parksy

Parksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hi, I work in IT so know about start up entries, norton hogging resources etc.....Have 2gb ram so virtual is 6 gb max......Im wandering if its anything to do with my hard drive/controller? As in device manager my hard drive is under ata controller although I have a sata hard drive? I have installed the lastest nvidia driver pack for 630 chipset??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users