Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win update ...?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scouse6

scouse6

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:44 AM

Win Xp
Sp3

My auto update keeps trying to update Microsoft Silverlight...This every irratating, I do not have silverlight
installed...???
Do I need to install this...???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

Not unless you really want to. :thumbsup: More on it here.

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hi,

Silverlight is much like Adobe's Flash in that it enables a bunch of functionality that "plain old HTML" simply doesn't support such as animation, video, multimedia and more. In fact, Silverlight is considered in many ways a Flash competitor.

Do you need it? Probably not yet. The number of web sites that are using it is actually small. It's unlikely that you'll see any difference as you browse the web without Silverlight for some time. Chances are that for now you won't really notice any issues.

Microsoft is "of course" pushing everyone to install Silverlight support on their machines so that website authors will be encouraged to use the new technology. You're seeing it in Windows Update. In fact, if you simply visit the Microsoft home page, you'll likely be prompted right there to install it as well, since Microsoft is naturally also using the technology itself. At this point, it's not a requirement, but it wouldn't surprise me if someday certain key features required Silverlight.

My guess is that it's simply going to become annoying. You may run into a site where you actually want to install it to get the site's functionality, and that's fine. It's actually a fairly small download and install.

So in reality the choice is yours, there will be no "real" difference if you don't, but at some point in the future it will be used by website designers so you will need it.

Why not wait.....i am!

Edit: Tried to make it less confusing

Edited by Emu1616, 27 October 2008 - 08:40 AM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

Win Xp
Sp3

My auto update keeps trying to update Microsoft Silverlight...This every irratating, I do not have silverlight
installed...???

Did you watch NBC's Olympic coverage online? If so, you probably have Silverlight but don't know it. Some companies plan to use Silverlight but this was the one time it was in wide usage. Most everyone else uses Flash. Call it an experiment because NBC hasn't brought it into Hulu...yet. You may need it someday but not yet.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

auto update keeps trying to update Microsoft Silverlight

Another thought, if MS Updates are trying to "update" Silverlight then it must already be installed.
It may have snuck past on a previous update.

Have a look in add/remove programs, if its there then you might aswell just accept the updates.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

You should be able to disable the update when it prompts you for the update.

#7 scouse6

scouse6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for your advice. Sorted now.

#8 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp