Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Update?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yunalesca

Yunalesca

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

K I was told I need to update my Bios (a teach said so)... so how can I find out what bois brand I have... hopefully I find the right update lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:17 PM

The first screen you see when you turn on your computer (the black and white one with the Energy Star logo) will tell you your Bios type and version. If you hit the pause key you can stop the boot and read the screen.

What kind of computer is this? Do you know the make and model number of the motherboard? Why do you feel you need to flash your bios?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

K I think my Bois is then Award Modular 6.0... can someone (smarter than me) gimme the link for upgration 'cause I heard you can lose your computer if you upgrade the wrong version so I"m really afraid...

hmm the reason why I wanna upgrade it 'cause when my brother's teacher was installing the 250GB slave hard drive my computer supposenly couldn't even 1/5 the space of 250GB slave drive... they said must upgrade it in order to have my computer read at least 1/3 of the space or something...

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Now that you know you have an Award Bios you need to identify the motherboard so you can get the bios from the motherboard manufacturer. It needs to come from them as a bios is specific to the motherboard.

Download and run Everest Home Edition. It will give you a lot of info on your computer including your mobo maker and bios version. It also might give you a link to the bios download page you need.

Flashing a bios is a very precise procedure and if you do it wrong you will destroy your motherboard. Read How to Flash a BIOS Without Giving Yourself a Headache.

Post back if you have any more questions and be sure you are ready when you try it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

hmm K I got the program... but I"m crazy confused... I clicked on the motherboard tab this is what I get

Posted Image

And this is my bios...

Posted Image

What to do now?

Edited by Yunalesca, 03 May 2005 - 07:06 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

That screen Everest gave you gives you all the information you need and a links to the bios manufacturer to upgrade your bios.

#7 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

so I should go to the bios upgrade link?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:49 PM

Yes. Print out that Everest report or write down the info on your motherboard so you can get the correct download.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users