Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no backlight on laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shagger

shagger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

My daughter was in a car wreak in which the air bags deployed. Her laptop was on her lap when this happened. She tryed her computer out and screen would not light up. I there anyway of knowing of weather i need a backlight bulb ,or and ,backlight inverter without taking it apart. It is a hp dv-8000 with 17 screen. Since i am new to this, does this model have 2 ccfc bulbs or just one. Had a hard time finding part number for items without taking it apart. ( i wanted to have the part on hand so i my memory would be fresh on how to put it back together,waiting a week for a part order). with a flashlight the screen is there, but need bright light to see it. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,,,,shagger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

Hi shagger, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:
Most of the HP and Compaq 17.1" WXGA screens use two CCFL backlight lamps. However, that particular model may only have one. Below are the full optional replacement screens for the DV8000:

Example 1
Example 2

The only way to know for sure how many it has is to take it apart and get the numbers off the back of the lcd.
Replacing a backlight lamp on a laptop is not for the faint of heart. It is very easy to damage the screen and in most cases you need a couple of very fine specialty tools just to disassemble it. It is not visable by simply removing the lcd itself. It is "inside" the lcd. You cannot touch anything in there with your bare hands. You will need tight fitting rubber surgical gloves. If you're going to go that far, you always replace the inverter at the same time too.
Here's a few pics of what you'll be looking at when replacing a backlight lamp on a typical notebook:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by HitSquad, 27 October 2008 - 07:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users