Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with XP restore

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 khmerxnuttyxb

khmerxnuttyxb

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

HEY guys im new here, joined this forum because i been trying to fix my computer for about 6 hours now!! well i think i caught the virus on myspace by clicking on someones page, once i klicked on there page my avg anti-virus popped up and told me i been infected. It said it removed that virus but five minutes later my computer shut it self down.

I turned my computer back on and used the latest updated version of avg and malware bytes anti-malware, it founded many infected objects and removed them, including the brastk and many more.

So i thought i removed the virus, i restarted my computer and a blue screen popped up real quick and disappear. and my screen saver was back to regular except my icons was all highlighted in blue. and everytime i restart the computer it shows the blue screen real quick.

I tried going into safe mode and doing a virus scan and malware scan too. Everytime I do a scan a new virus or malware is deleted.

I have done over 5 virus and malware scans today and it always finds and kills new objects. but it seems like there must be a few more hidden that it cant find, which is causing to add more viruses and malware to my computer. and my icons still remain highlighted in blue! also my avg finds many warnings of tracking cookies too! i have tried a few other software to tried to find the hidden virus or malware that has been creating more virus in my computer but couldnt find it!

some one please help me!!!

Mod edit ~ Moved to the XP forum for advice on system repair.

Edited by rigel, 29 October 2008 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

Please post the last MBAM scanlog thanks.

To Stop the cycling Blue Screen of Death and write down the complete error mesage...

Please do this

To stop the reboot process go to
}Start
}Right click My Computer
}Properties
}Advanced
}Startup and Recovery and untick automatically restart

The screen will now stop so you can copy it All, then post it.

NEXT Please run this scan..
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 khmerxnuttyxb

khmerxnuttyxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

heres the last mbam scan log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1324
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

10/26/2008 5:03:40 PM
mbam-log-2008-10-26 (17-03-40).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 54011
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\rhclaej0er83 (Rogue.AntivirusXP2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpv257.cpx (Adware.ISM) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSctye.log (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSnmxh.log (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

AND HERES THE SUPER ANTISPYWARE SCAN LOG:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 10/27/2008 at 04:48 PM

Application Version : 4.21.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 3609
Trace Rules Database Version: 1595

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:26:12

Memory items scanned : 160
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6240
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 29534
File threats detected : 26

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@ads.bleepingcomputer[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@doubleclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@apmebf[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@ads.bleepingcomputer[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@fastclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@clickz[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@bs.serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@ad1.clickhype[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@247realmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@advertising[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@questionmarket[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@statse.webtrendslive[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@msnservices.112.2o7[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@www.clickz[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@tacoda[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@revsci[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@linksynergy[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@interclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@incisivemedia.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@banners.newcelica[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@mediaplex[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@eyewonder[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@serving-sys[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Cookies\hp_administrator@msnportal.112.2o7[2].txt

#4 khmerxnuttyxb

khmerxnuttyxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

bump, still finding tracking cookies!!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

Cookies and those are not a problem . You will always get cookies from your web travels.
How is the PC doing now otherwise?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 khmerxnuttyxb

khmerxnuttyxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

the computer is not doing good, every time i turn on the computer it says i have not shut down the computer properly.. and the last time i had it on i did shut it off properly... it loads up all the way to the windows sign with the green bar going back and forth then it just restarts again. it doesnt even make it to the screen with all my desktop icons... i also tried going into safe mode but it doesnt work... i really dont wont to reboot my computer because i have so much important data saved on it...PLEASE HELP!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hello do you have an XP Install disc? You may want to do a repair install. Or we can run HJT and post there. Tho they are a few days back logged.

#8 khmerxnuttyxb

khmerxnuttyxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

Hello do you have an XP Install disc? You may want to do a repair install. Or we can run HJT and post there. Tho they are a few days back logged.

i do not have an xp install disc, where can i get that, maybe that might be my only option. I cannot run a hjt because my computer will not let me get that far. the furthest it gets to loading up its to the microsoft windows picture, then it restarts and says my computer had like an emergency shut down or something like that. i cant do a system recovery either, my computer doesnt have a recovery disc but it does it by hiting f10 on the start up screen. but that doesnt work and plus i do not want to lose any of my files. so where do u think i could get a xp install disc, i have one which is an older verison than the current one i have.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

Do you have a friend who has an XP disk?

As long as you have your own Certificate of Authenticity, you could use the friends media - as long as it is the exact type. Then you can do the repair install. Here is Microsoft's link

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 khmerxnuttyxb

khmerxnuttyxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

Do you have a friend who has an XP disk?

As long as you have your own Certificate of Authenticity, you could use the friends media - as long as it is the exact type. Then you can do the repair install. Here is Microsoft's link

no i dont think i have a friend that has it, but my father has window xp disc but i dont thinks its the same edition... u guys think i can still use it?? i bought a repair disc from ebay, u guys think that will help??

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

The editions have to be the same. The eBay deal... don't know.

Since we now have more a XP boot failure, I am going to move this topic to the XP forum. Let's get XP booting, and then we can readdress the infection.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

Can you post the exact contents of the error message you get when trying to boot?

Louis

#13 khmerxnuttyxb

khmerxnuttyxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Can you post the exact contents of the error message you get when trying to boot?

Louis

its says" we apologize for the inconvience, but windows did not start successfullu. A recent hardware or software change hanve might caused this.

If your computer stop responding, restarted unexpectly was automatically shutdown to protect your files and folders, choose last known configuratinon.. etc...

then it asks me how i would like to restart or watever by safemode etc...

hope this helps u guys

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

Let's talk about the disks you have available which you say are XP install CDs.

When we say that the editions have to be the same...we mean that you cannot use an XP Pro disk for an XP Home install or vice versa. It really doesn't matter, to some extent if you have XP SP3 installed, but only have XP Home, SP1 CDs...the differences can be overcome.

Windows Media Edition...that's an unknown for me. There are CDs available for this.

Realistically speaking...any hope of correcting whatever is wrong...while retaining your data files...I consider slim, especially so if you cannot even attempt a repair install.

I'd start with the basic things that you can do:

a. Run a diagnostic on your RAM.

b. Run a diagnostic on your hard drive.

c. Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Louis

#15 khmerxnuttyxb

khmerxnuttyxb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

Let's talk about the disks you have available which you say are XP install CDs.

When we say that the editions have to be the same...we mean that you cannot use an XP Pro disk for an XP Home install or vice versa. It really doesn't matter, to some extent if you have XP SP3 installed, but only have XP Home, SP1 CDs...the differences can be overcome.

Windows Media Edition...that's an unknown for me. There are CDs available for this.

Realistically speaking...any hope of correcting whatever is wrong...while retaining your data files...I consider slim, especially so if you cannot even attempt a repair install.

I'd start with the basic things that you can do:

a. Run a diagnostic on your RAM.

b. Run a diagnostic on your hard drive.

c. Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Louis

i try to do a restore install but it didnt work it end up popping a error message after about 2 mins and say i should try run a diagnostic or check on my harddrive... i will post the message up by tomorrow if u guys arent sure what im talking about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users