Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trimming the fat on a 98SE machine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

I have three computers in my home. An XP machine, a laptop, and an old 98SE box. I'm currently zeroing the 98SE box, because it's just become too ungodly slow, and even the usual tools aren't helping anymore. (Granted I keep up on defrag and scandisk, it has been just over 2 years since I zeroed it last.) I do this to keep my 98SE box for my messenger services and low-end web browsing. I find this keeps me from spending hours on hours in chats or streaming video and game sites (flash-based games will be the death of me yet), and keep my "work" computers free of distraction.

So, I try to use lightweight apps (Opera is one of the slimmer browsers out there, for example) to keep the old P3 processor running at top speed. But there has to be some fixes, tweaks and options I can dial in to maximize performance on the old 98SE box and make it feel fast as a new computer, even if it's really not. What secrets of 98SE do you know to turn the old workhorse into a venerable clydesdale? :thumbsup:

Speaking of lightweight apps... Is there anything better than trillian for multi-client messaging? It seems to eat more resources than it should. The meat of the problem has to be things I can meddle with in the OS, I'm sure... But even a little bit off the top can help, right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

The best way is to reformat and a fresh install
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

That's what I am going to do. I was wondering about ways to keep it resource-light, once its up and running, though.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

Disable Task Scheduler (Open it, Advanced, Untick Enable Task scheduler I think, don't have a 98 box to check on)
Disable programs that launch in the background

Thats about all I can think of. I used 98lite in the past, but thats not much good if you want to use the PC for the internet.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users