Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incredibly frustrating function!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aegis 3650

Aegis 3650

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

This has been driving me completely and totally crazy since I bought this laptop. (Dell Latitude D800). Win XP Home.

The problem with it is, every few seconds, all by itself, the mouse clicks. The only way I can describe this better is to say that wherever the cursor is, every 15 or 20 seconds the system clicks it. If you hover on a link, the mouse automatically clicks it. It clicks itself constantly.

I can be watching a video on YouTube, and if the cursor drifts over a link, whatever the ^%@ the setting is that is making it auto-click, makes it auto-click on something, and suddenly, I'll be watching another video. I can be writing in Word, and suddenly it will be back in the middle of a previous sentence, or it will delete what I've just written. If I'm surfing a page, it will click wherever the mouse is, sometimes even closing the window, if the cursor just happens to be in that place. The ^&%@& thing auto-clicks constantly. I can't do much of anything, for having to go back and try to get back where I was, and I am just about ready to throw this ^&%#!@! laptop through a wall.

So far, since I started typing this message, the cursor has clicked 8 times, and I've found myself suddenly typing in the middle of a previous sentence.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to stop it from automatically clicking?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

Does this happen with another mouse?

Because if that was me I would swap mouses before I launch the laptop
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

Is this the touchpad mouse or an external mouse? If it is the touchpad you can disable the tap to click ability in the touchpad settings. Tou will now have use the buttons.

There is also the slight possibility that your palm heel or shirt cuff may be dragging on it as you type.

Or reinstall or update the mouse drivers from Dell or the external mouse whichever is applicable.

Have you scanned for malware?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

The only way I can describe this better is to say that wherever the cursor is, every 15 or 20 seconds the system clicks it.

Certainly sounds like the active window tracking function.
Go here,
on line 171 on the left, download "disable" active window tracking and save it to your drive.
Right click the saved file and select "merge". If it doesn't stop it right away, reboot and try again.
To re-enable, go back to the download link, selecting "enable". Repeat procedure.

#5 Aegis 3650

Aegis 3650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

Does this happen with another mouse?

Because if that was me I would swap mouses before I launch the laptop

What other mouses? The laptop only came with that little "touchpad" mouse below the keypad. How do you take out that piece from the body of the laptop, and replace it?

Maybe "mouse" is the wrong word. Whatever you call it that the little line thing or arrow thing is that shows where the pointer is, the COMPUTER automatically clicks it.

#6 Aegis 3650

Aegis 3650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Is this the touchpad mouse or an external mouse? If it is the touchpad you can disable the tap to click ability in the touchpad settings. Tou will now have use the buttons.

There is also the slight possibility that your palm heel or shirt cuff may be dragging on it as you type.

Or reinstall or update the mouse drivers from Dell or the external mouse whichever is applicable.

Have you scanned for malware?

It's the computer.

It does it without the laptop even being touched. I can put it on a table, and it will do it when I am three feet away. Believe me, I wouldn't be so frustrated if I were touching it with my hand or with a shirt cuff. It happens when I'm not wearing a shirt, when I am not touching the computer, or anything.

I'd thought I made it pretty clear that it doesn't matter what the cursor line, or pointer, or whatever it is that is the real name of the thing is, the COMPUTER automatically clicks. Not me. It will do it without human intervention. It clicks, even if I am across the room.

Yes, I've scanned it for malware, spyware, and viruses too.

Edited by Aegis 3650, 27 October 2008 - 10:26 AM.

#7 Aegis 3650

Aegis 3650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

The only way I can describe this better is to say that wherever the cursor is, every 15 or 20 seconds the system clicks it.

Certainly sounds like the active window tracking function.
Go here,
on line 171 on the left, download "disable" active window tracking and save it to your drive.
Right click the saved file and select "merge". If it doesn't stop it right away, reboot and try again.
To re-enable, go back to the download link, selecting "enable". Repeat procedure.

Wow! This sounds like there's a real function that causes this to happen! It doesn't do it on my desktop, only on my laptop.

Is there any other way to disable this without downloading anything or editing the registry? I don't know enough about computers to not be scared that I won't screw it up really much.

This sounds like the real issue here. Is this something that only comes with laptops?

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi Aegis 3650.
You won't "screw it up". :thumbsup:
It's a simple reg alteration, totally reversable as described.
BTW, was wondering why this post is in the external HW forum?
If the above doesn't work (please try first) then are you using an external mouse or something?
In addition, is there a docking station involved here?

#9 Aegis 3650

Aegis 3650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hi Aegis 3650.
You won't "screw it up". :huh:
It's a simple reg alteration, totally reversable as described.
BTW, was wondering why this post is in the external HW forum?
If the above doesn't work (please try first) then are you using an external mouse or something?
In addition, is there a docking station involved here?

Oh, I so hate to say this, but "you won't screw it up" is something I have heard before! :thumbsup: LOL!!

This thread is where it was, because after about 40 minutes of going through the forum, this seemed to be the best place to put it. This seemed to be the best place, since I really don't know what the real problem is.

I don't understand how using an external mouse makes any difference, but since you ask, it still does it whether or not there is an external mouse plugged into the USB port or not.

I have no idea what a "docking station" is.

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:33 AM

Oh, I so hate to say this, but "you won't screw it up" is something I have heard before!

I understand Aegis 3650. How about trust me? :thumbsup:
I have never, and never will, give advice that I am not 100% sure won't damage your system. If there is the remotest possibility of that, I always include a warning.
If you don't want to try this fix, that is fine. :huh:

Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users