Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All sorts of probelms!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 learn4puters

learn4puters

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

Okay, I need some manger help!I posted another post on page two but,so far I was the last person to post anything. I have one laptop and its really acting up! Problem # 1:our cable hookup between our one laptop to one computer, they said it would work fine but, the computer internet does work but, my internet on the laptop does NOT!
And if you go to page two I think, theres my another problem.I'm really having a time with this and if you could PLEASE help me I'd be sooo happy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

I've looked at the other posts and it seems that you're not too sure of the browser so I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to find out a few things. Right click the browser icon and click Properties and post the info regarding the browser. It should be something like Internet Explorer 7 (if it's IE of course)

You say that when you close a window it closes the browser. Do you get a message when you try to close a tab, along the lines of "You are about to close ? tabs..."

If not then you need to enable the tick box on that warning message.

Finally, you need to check the connection on your PC. Which operating system is it? XP? Vista? The answer to that will depend on that answer
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 learn4puters

learn4puters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

Ok, its not a special kind of program its the regular internet people just have (the blue one).
Also I do wish in the future to get Mozilla Firefox but, I do not have it now.(No internet browser has been downloaded the internet I use is the kind it came on with).
But, this is the info when I click on the properties at the very top of the box:Launch Internet Explorer Browser Properties.
Yup I do get a message saying if I have two tabs open:Do you wish to close both tabs?

And yes when I close the internet it does have a box that comes up:
Internet Explorer has topped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Now that's what it says when I'm not pluged up to internet and the reason to that is because I'm on another computer and so I don't have a router so I can't use both.Which connection do you need the computer I'm having trouble with?If so:its a laptop Vista, Hp.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

Whoa, that's a lot of problems.

First thing...on the Windows 95 machine, you may have deleted or changed important settings and it may need a lot of work.

Hi!
Um...my computer is not working the internet won't go to any site.But,it works on my other puter ??.
Please help,I've unpluged and I don't think it still don't work.
OH,AND!The computer is also slow,I figured I could do most of the cleaning up by deleting a BUNCH of things but,[their soo important!]So,if you know somehting else that will help please let me know!:thumbsup:

Do not use this tool on the Vista machine, please

We will need to repair some of windows' internal registration settings
  • Please download Dial-A-Fix from one of the following mirrors:
  • Extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: Posted Image)
  • UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
    Posted Image
  • When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
    Posted Image
  • Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix
Secondly, The Vista machine seems to be running Internet Explorer (the blue one). Firefox is a great browser and you can download it really easily but I think you may be having networking issues here. You should post that problem here if you haven't already.

Okay, so to recap. Post back with how the Windows 95 machine is running but go to the Networking forum for help with hooking up a laptop and a PC without a router.
Posted Image

#5 learn4puters

learn4puters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

Whoa, that's a lot of problems.

First thing...on the Windows 95 machine, you may have deleted or changed important settings and it may need a lot of work.

Do not use this tool on the Vista machine, please[/color]

We will need to repair some of windows' internal registration settings

• Please download Dial-A-Fix from one of the following mirrors:
  • Extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: Posted Image)
  • UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
    Posted Image
  • When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
    Posted Image
  • Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix
Secondly, The Vista machine seems to be running Internet Explorer (the blue one). Firefox is a great browser and you can download it really easily but I think you may be having networking issues here. You should post that problem here if you haven't already.

Okay, so to recap. Post back with how the Windows 95 machine is running but go to the Networking forum for help with hooking up a laptop and a PC without a router.

So why do I do need to do it on the old (98 computer)??
Cause will it help get the internet working the laptop?

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

I thought we were dealing with two machines. One running Windows 95 and one Vista.

Let's get this straight...

Your laptop runs Vista and you can connect it to another PC but the internet doesn't work. Right?

The other PC, does that run Windows 95? That internet connection is through Internet explorer?

Firstly, are you sure that the two PCs are connecting? That's why I referred you to the Networking forum.

Secondly, if the PC is running Windows 95 and your laptop is running Vista then that could explain why you are having problems.
Posted Image

#7 learn4puters

learn4puters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

Yes, one computer 98 hp that the internet works, one laptop that's Vista hp that the internet does not work!
Mmm...yeah we don't have a router yet and so we unplug it and hook it up to the laptop and it doesn't work but, on the PC it works perfectly.
What do you mean connecting I hook one plug only one and do the same but, it just doesn't work!So what you're saying is it might just have to wait till we get the hump to get a router because its too something ???
Ok so now that we've got that straight how come you needed me to do that on the PC of windows 98?
---THANKS

#8 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:21 AM

Hello learn4puters,

My understanding of your situation is that you have a modem that connects to your Internet Service Provider (ISP). You have no router. You have two computers, A and B. When Computer A is connected to the modem (using an Ethernet cable), Computer A can connect to the Internet. When you want to use Computer B on the Internet, you unplug the Ethernet cable from Computer A and then plug that cable into Computer B (so that Computer B is now the device connected to the modem). However, Computer B cannot connect to the Internet after doing this. If you then reverse the process and connect Computer A to the modem, Computer A can (again) successfully connect to the Internet.

If the above correctly describes your situation, then it may be simply a matter of "power-cycling" the modem each time you change the computer connected to the modem.

See the following post here at Bleeping Computer:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=618977

#9 learn4puters

learn4puters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Wow you've got exactly what I was trying to explain! :thumbsup:
Mmmm...yeah that's sounds right.

Um...okay since the other user said it worked I'll take hustlerinc28 word for it but....
Do I have to do that every time I want on it??(Do I have to unplug EVERYTHING when
I just wanna just something on it or etc.?

#10 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

Did you actually try performing the process described in the post I referenced above?

Did that process work for you? That is, were you able to connect to the Internet from each computer (separately) when you changed/switched the computer that was attached to the modem?

If that process worked, then yes, you probably will need to power-cycle the modem and reboot the attached computer each time you change the computer that is directly connected to the modem.

The alternative is to purchase a router, attach the router to the modem and then attach the computers to the router. That will allow simultaneous (or separate) Internet access by both computers without having to power-cycle or reboot anything.

#11 learn4puters

learn4puters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

No I had not tried that yet because if my hunch was right then I didn't wanna have to do it just over and over.
Oh okay and thank you for helping me!
Alright then I guess that's a router for us :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users