Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conflicts with new firewall suite?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

I am going to be installing a new firewall/av suite.
I want to know if I have to completely uninstall AVG Free, or can I just disable it? Is it possible for "remnants" to be left behind that would conflict with KIS 2009?
Also, I use Spybot S+D weekly to keep my system clean. Does Spybot also have to be removed entirely? As far as I know, it doesn't run in the background. I have to manually start it each time I use it.

I will be switching to Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, but need input from the members here first. Please respond in novice terms,thanks.
honu1

Windows XP-SP2,Firefox,Thunderbird. Current firewall is Windows. Current anti virus program is AVG Free. I understand I need to have no internet connection while disabling /removing programs+installing KIS 2009, correct?
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

If it were me, I'd uninstall AVG. Why have on more than what you need. It's not like you cannot download it again.
Spybot will be fine, only turn off Teatimer if you use it.

I understand I need to have no internet connection while disabling /removing programs+installing KIS 2009, correct?

That's what I do. Mine's easy, I have a button on top of the modem I can switch on and off
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

Thanks again,Mark :flowers:
I never thought of using that button on top. I believe it's called "standby"?
Yeah, I figured I could reinstall AVG Free if I ever decide to use it again. As for teatimer, I never did understand how to use it anyway, so I had that function disabled when I had my CPU in the shop that last time it crashed. Seems Windows XP-SP3 didn't like teatimer when I tried to download it the last time. I didn't know what I was doing (no surprise) when I tried to install it. More than likely other programs were causing conflict besides teatimer.
I'm just starting to get a comfort level with SP2, so that's where I'm planning to stay(for now).
Thanks for being here for me. I really appreciate your contributions here at BC :thumbsup:

honu1

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

I forget about it all the time. Especially when I'm rooting around my desk, then try to go online. I spend an hour or so try to troubleshoot everything with no luck until I remember that damn button :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hey, honu1
First of all good luck.
Secondly, permit me to put in my five cents into this as follows:

Kaspersky is very good stuff. But -
Kaspersky doesn't tolerate any other security programs. Actually, recently, most suites and AVs don't. They have to work at such a deep level that other security programs interfere, slow down computer and actually reduce your protection.
Kaspersky doesn't tolerate even traces of other security programs.

Make sure you do very clean uninstall of AVG, all system32 files, all registry entries. Their forum or this forum might have total removal instructions.
Spybot uninstalls very cleanly but leaves a browser helper object in IE. It should be no problem, but if it is, remove it. Don't ask me how, I'd use HJT for it.

Edited by tos226, 26 October 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

tos226, thanks for all the input.
Unless you can give me step by step instructions about the clean uninstall of AVG Free,I'm totally lost! :thumbsup:
I just checked at the AVG forum with all its tech speak. I think I may have to reinstall aVG+somewhere along the line chose uninstall? I'm sooooo confused....sigh.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

honu1,
I'm sorry, but I can't give you step by step because I've never used AVG.
But I read numerous references to it here and other places.
Any help on the AVG site itself, not forums?

Let's hope some AVG user will come to your aid :thumbsup:

If you do Start, Programs, look for AVG - there should be uninstaller there. It's after their uninstaller that you may need to remove traces all over the place - system32, registry, who knows where. Do not be tempted to use Add/Remove while the AV service is running unless AVG company tells you to do just that.

Edited by tos226, 26 October 2008 - 10:49 PM.

#8 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

Hi tos266
It appears that technical help from the main AVG website is for paid subscribers only. The forum is too high tech for me.I've used it before+can't understand what they say.

I've posted this issue at another thread here+hopefully someone who actually used the free version can better direct me.

I still want to know about using SpybotS+D weekly after I have KIS 2009 in place. Any thoughts?

Thanks
honu1

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

Not sure. Kaspersky is really finicky.
Definitely disable TeaTimer within Spybot. The rest unlikely matters for scans.
Thing is, Spybot S&D searches for several categories of malware including some trojans. Well, Kaspersky suite will be doing the same, hence a slight possiblity of conflict. But considering that Spybot survived on my computer various flavors of anti-malware (and I forget what KAV trial said), I think you'll be ok.

Don't despair about technobabble at each turn. The more you read it the more it sinks in and suddenly you can speak it too :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 27 October 2008 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users