Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer problem.. BIOS Beeps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richybiz

richybiz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

*edit* please excuse some of my word shortenings, bad habit due to messenger programs

Hello all, i am new here as before now i havent had a problem with my pc..

Pc was workin fyn until the misses knocked it over by accident and now it doesnt start-up..
Using google i've discovered that 'BIOS Beeps' exist so i'm assumin thats what is makin my pc beep..
I switch on my computer and get 5 beeps about a second long each and then a pause, and then repeated beeps.. during the pause it sounds like a drive is loading or sumfin but then again this could be completely wrong. Also when the pc was kcocked over the screen went mad to different colours in a pattern of sum sort but nothin that could be made out..
I'v read that 5 beeps is the cpu and that repeated is the motherboard, also something could be unplugged, any help would be appreciated greatly

looks lyk an interesting forum, a lot could be learned from here.. shame im not on my pc lol..

Thanks in advance people

Rich

Edited by richybiz, 26 October 2008 - 12:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

If you can tell us the model of your computer, we can probably find out what the beep codes mean. Computers have certain beep codes that mean different thing's depending on how many, and how long each one is.

Anyway, I'd say there's a 99% chance you'll have to open up your computer and do something. Hopefully nothing is broken, but you should go in and make sure nothing got knocked loose. First, of course, turn the computer off, and unplug it from the wall. Check to see if all of the cables are connected properly, and make sure the heatsink/fan on top of your processor didn't get knocked loose. You could also try taking the small quarter-sized watch battery out of the computer for a few minutes and then put it back in. This will reset your cmos (BIOS settings).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 richybiz

richybiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

Thanks Sterling

If you can tell us the model of your computer, we can probably find out what the beep codes mean.

I'm not exactly sure, I know that its custom built because finding the drivers was very hard, i used Lavalys Everest to find out what mobo and gfx + audio cards i had but am unsure now, i also have no idea how to check by looking at the hardware.

Hopefully nothing is broken, but you should go in and make sure nothing got knocked loose. First, of course, turn the computer off, and unplug it from the wall. Check to see if all of the cables are connected properly, and make sure the heatsink/fan on top of your processor didn't get knocked loose.

ok i have tried this, but im not too good with pc's i have very basic hardware knowledge.. i will check again tomorrow because i never checked the fan, although it does run when my pc is on.. also i tried re-sitting the ram card

You could also try taking the small quarter-sized watch battery out of the computer for a few minutes and then put it back in. This will reset your cmos (BIOS settings).

I have no idea where this is in my computer although i am almost certain that something is either loose or damaged..

Thanks again 4 your advice

Edited by richybiz, 26 October 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:44 AM

I would like to add one thing to Streling14's suggestions, before you touch anything inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity in your body, static electricity can kill board components inside your computer.

Most motherboard manufacturers will silk screen the make and model on the surface of the motherboard. We will need to know this in order to find out who the manufacturer of the BIOS is, each BIOS manufacturer has a different beep code.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 richybiz

richybiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

thanks 4 all your help, pc got fixed by my mate, something had come loose, no doubt i'l b here checking out sum stuff soon

thanks again
rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users