Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding harddrive for more space......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hi there, I have a older computer with a 8 gig HD installed and this computer is for my daughter and I would like to increase her drive space a bit.... I have some other HD's here and would like to know if it is possible to install one so it would just increase the drive space on the C: drive and not install a second drive letter????

It is for a 10 year old and she would get really confussed if there were any more than just a C: drive......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

A new drive would require a new drive letter.
To increase the size of C:, you'd have to install a larger drive, and reinstall the Operating System.

Edited by tg1911, 26 October 2008 - 12:47 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:15 AM

I would leave the 8GB hdd for the operating system and add the second for all other applications and files. These being older hdds I'm going to guess that they are connected via a IDE cable, you will need to make the 8GB the Master drive, and the second hdd a Slave. This will involve changing the jumper on the rear of the drives to the perspective designation. The IDE cable is configured so that the end connector is the Master, and the middle connector is the Slave. This tutorial may help you to understand.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

He's trying to avoid using 2 drives, dc3.

It is for a 10 year old and she would get really confussed if there were any more than just a C: drive......

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:18 PM

From recent experience I'm not discounting kids and their computer skills, or their ability to learn. :thumbsup: Like ducks to water! But I guess there is something to be said for simplicity.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:44 PM

I have to agree with you, there.
They do pick it up, quick. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users