Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Fails To Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dku

dku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

Hi All

I think I'm about to destroy my computer!!! :thumbsup: My computer is running Windows XP home edition, or was. When I go to boot it up, It gets to the blue windows page, attempts to load the desktop, then returns to the welcome page. It then goes to Login User, try to logon but just says loading settings, then immediately after goes to saving settings. Can anybody help?

Many thanks

Dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 big--phil

big--phil

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hi,

Have you got your windows cd?

You could try boot from that.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:40 PM

Random errors like that would make me test the RAM and/or consider replacing the CMOS battery.

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

It helps if you actually post the content of error messages on BSODs.

Louis

#4 dku

dku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hi Big--Phil

Never got a backup boot disc with computer, I know I can download it from microsoft site but the laptop i am using cannot take floppy discs which it appears it requires to save to.

Hi Louis

Thanks for the suggestions I will try replacing the battery, at present the computer isn't flashing up any error messages.

Thanks
Dean

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

Can you load into Safe Mode?

What is the make and model of your computer? Some manufacturer have a separate recovery partition on the hdd for this purpose, this may be why you don't have a recovery CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users