Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Installation on Linux

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

Okay, Windows is one thing but Linux...

I have been following instructions for downloading and installing Java RE plugin.

http://java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml

I have managed to download and install but to enable the plugin I have to follow the filepath to the Firefox/plugins folder. So far I have failed to find this directory. It seems that my installation directory does not have a plugin folder at all. Do I need to make a new folder? Is it somewhere else? A folder search finds Firefox but nothing called Plugin or Plugins.

Also, how do I find out what type of Linux I'm running from the laptop?

Any Linux wizards out there who may be able to find me a decent installer for this Os?
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

If you drop to a command prompt and typy in locate firefox | grep plugins, what do you find?

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hi Groovicus,

It tells me I have no such file or directory

Edited by m0le, 26 October 2008 - 11:40 AM.

Posted Image

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

It seems that Firefox has a bug which tells you that a plugin is missing and when you click through it offers to reinstall Java RE. Not what I wanted to do actually.

But if anyone can offer up an alternative platform for a Linux user then feel free to reply
Posted Image

#5 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

wich dystro are you using?my guess is its downloaded but not installed.when open in firefox navigate to edit/preferances/main/add ons/manage add ons/plug ins.from there shockwave flash should be listed.if not its not installed if it is it should already be enabled.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

Run it as sudo. If you have firefox installed, then there is a plugins directory.

It seems that Firefox has a bug which tells you that a plugin is missing

That is not a bug. It is merely telling you that you are missing the required plugins to display the content on the page. As far as I know, all browsers will do that.

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

wich dystro are you using?

How do I know?

my guess is its downloaded but not installed.

No. It had definitely installed as it said when the EULA appeared on the terminal it was installed.

when open in firefox navigate to edit/preferances/main/add ons/manage add ons/plug ins.from there shockwave flash should be listed.if not its not installed if it is it should already be enabled.

There is no Shockwave showing but surely I am trying to install Java run time environment so why would I need Shockwave to show? Mind you, Java isn't there either!

Thanks for the help by the way.

Groovicus: No addons folder in Firefox. I have looked all over, searched, everything. Also I am aware that the no plugin warning is usual but I did read that in some cases the plugin link goes to the Java Run Time downloads rather than to the plugins part of Sun's site.
Posted Image

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

No addons folder in Firefox

Not addons, plugins.

edit: Or perhaps the path is usr/lib/mozilla/plugins??

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

The Mozilla folder contains a Firefox folder and inside that there are four files:

Pluginreg.dat - Which is a text file showing info about other plugins on Firefox
libjavaplugin_osj.so - This is an attempt to (forgot word but it means to connect the Java plugin to Firefox). This should be in the Plugin folder but I couldnt find it so into Firefox it went!
Profiles.ini - ?
qvoz249s.default - Full of files about plugins.

There is no Plugin folder anywhere.
Posted Image

#10 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

unsure wich dystro?post back with your default desktop description.color?design?and also when u recieved the eula,did you hit tab and highlight "yes"in red?just askin cuz it took me a minute to figure out how too accept the eula.

#11 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

The default desktop is a light blue background with a globe. Then I have large icons: Web Mail, Web, Igoogle, Messenger, Skype, Network, GoogleDocs, Wikpedia, Internet Radio, Wireless Networks.

The EULA question is interesting because I may not have highlighted it correctly. I will give that a try and repost
Posted Image

#12 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

I reinstalled the file, definitely agreed the EULA (no highlighting, You had to type y or n and remember definitely doing that last time) and it said that the installation had failed (which it must have said the first time and explains the problem)

The error message was

8i75 Segmentation fault

ERROR: Failed to unpack JAR files

lib/rt.jar

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users