Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apologies

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

In reference to this thread, guess I crossed the line. I didn't think it would be. How broad is the latitude with questions like that?

I did explain I'd tried the legitimate, legal methods that I knew of. I was hoping for a legal answer, to be quite honest. I would have even settled for the answer I got: "No, it's not licensed to be used on a virtual machine, go get a real box and try again."

Is there a more appropriate forum for asking questions that might even come remotely close to that line? Or maybe even just an "is this legal" thread, for a yes/no answer, to make sure I don't give moderators headaches again? It'd be nice to remain a member in good standing here, for a long time to come.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

"XP is not licensed for use on Virtual Machines unless you buy a separate license for it."

You'll need to buy a license or contact MS about such otherwise.

Our rules and the legalities preclude such discussions here on BC.

Do you understand now?

R,
K
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

The whole legal/not legal can be ever so confusing, I know.

Not long ago I tried to figure out if software programs I no longer use could be given (without keeping a copy for myself) to a friend - legally - and finding the information was a bit of a mind-boggler for me. (In case others are wondering, apparently no one knows for sure).

Not to worry, DnDer, Moderators such as our KoanYorel will set us straight if we cross the line - gentle smile.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

The whole legal/not legal can be ever so confusing, I know.

Not long ago I tried to figure out if software programs I no longer use could be given (without keeping a copy for myself) to a friend - legally - and finding the information was a bit of a mind-boggler for me. (In case others are wondering, apparently no one knows for sure).

Not to worry, DnDer, Moderators such as our KoanYorel will set us straight if we cross the line - gentle smile.

I do agree on that one, MaraM

There are some many Grey Lines in it all, all people like Koan Yorel can do, is finely Tread a Very Thin Line to still try to Help. It is just an unfortunate part of Life now.

:thumbsup:

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

Contract with a LIAR (oops - Spelling error there - "Lawyer"; to ensure whether one can or cannot do such. Read the EULA's.)

*KoanYorel bets:

In most cases, one cannot legally.

#6 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

I have to say I find it confusing as well there are many Grey Areas in respects to somethings and unknown Legal Loopholes in Areas as well, as Koan has said you can ask a Solicitor if not sure.

Always best to find out through a Solicitor.

Not sure how you expect to read the EULA's have you seen the size of the Microsoft Office LA I once copied it to a Word Document to see how big it was you'll never believe it but it was 200 Pages at 12 Point text even with a Contents Page and Skim Reading it would take hours to read through it all, some aren't so Bad but those Big ones hide a lot of Clauses which many of us end up breaking in one way or another believe me.

I'll not comment further in regards to your Previous Thread DnDer but it's just Questions that are unknown to us, it's taught me something I don't use VM's but I didn't know licenses were needed for them to be used with Windows so something new for me as well.

We can only say it's not Legal and that's it, nothing wrong with asking a question it's the way we learn and can tell others.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:41 PM

Never anything wrong with asking the 'questions' here.
Except no "legal beagels " here to actually respond? Thus Beware!

#8 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:47 AM

So... If I buy a copy of Windows XP for my home PC and decide "Hey I'm going to downgrade it to Vista" for what ever reason, can I use that unused license for Windows XP on a virtual machine?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#9 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

Contract with a LIAR (oops - Spelling error there - "Lawyer"; to ensure whether one can or cannot do such.)

The wad of $ you would need to give to M$ for a license would be much smaller than the wad you would need to give to a shyster - who would probably tell you that you need to give a wad to M$. (They are all in cahoots.)

Edited by MattV, 27 October 2008 - 07:33 PM.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:31 AM

So... If I buy a copy of Windows XP for my home PC and decide "Hey I'm going to downgrade it to Vista" for what ever reason, can I use that unused license for Windows XP on a virtual machine?

Full retail Operating System licenses can be transferred to another system (be it virtual or physical) if the OS is removed from the original system (limited transfers for Vista). So if you had a retail full version XP installed on a system, and replaced it with a retail full version Vista, then the XP license is free again and can be transferred.

If the XP is OEM, the license is only valid for the original system it was installed onto, it can't be transferred to any other system.

If the XP is retail full version, but a Vista "Upgrade" version is used for the update, then the XP license is not freed up, its license is still being used on the original system to qualify for the cheaper up/downgrade to Vista.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:45 AM

Oh... I gotcha. (Barely dodged it on that one.)
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

I have to say I find it confusing as well there are many Grey Areas in respects to somethings and unknown Legal Loopholes in Areas as well, as Koan has said you can ask a Solicitor if not sure.
Always best to find out through a Solicitor.

We can only say it's not Legal and that's it, nothing wrong with asking a question it's the way we learn and can tell others.

If one bothered to ask a Solicitor,it would make it an expensive XP Licence.
Contact Microsoft, would be a more sensible bet.
To even ask a Solicitor, to read through a EULA that size, would cost one the earth, here.
Couldn't help smiling, when I read THAT suggestion.
Nothing wrong with asking the question,in the least.IMO.

#13 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

Well yes a Solicitor does cost a lot I don't know exact figures but Yes they are quite expensive, I wasn't suggesting to ask a Solicitor to read the EULA's I was just pointing out the size of the EULA's and how much notice we ever take of them, we may just read the first page or two at most. I believe here the Government are trying to push a law through or add to a current law banning these massive EULA's and making them more simplified for people and more acceptable to read instead of the people mainly ignoring them.

But yes asking Microsoft themselves is another option, I wonder what Microsoft actually say to Users who phone asking Questions like those.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:47 AM

Last year I called Microsoft's licensing department and asked the same question with two different representatives and received two different answers. I seriously wonder if they even know. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

Some quick articles on EULAs that I just googled. Should keep everyone reading till more comes research gets posted by forum members:

MS EULA may break Federal Law

Softman v Adobe: You buy software, you buy software - the physical copy

Case for a User-Friendly EULA

Made something in Spore? EA owns it, and can sell user-made content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users