Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Anarchyboy44

Anarchyboy44

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

Alright so I'm trying to help friend fix her computer. When it's booting up just after the windows xp screen, the whole screen goes blue and it say's
Registry_Error, Dumps the physical memory and whatnot. The computer won't start in safe mode and she hadn't installed any new programs or anything. Is there anything I can do, without reformating?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

First of all welcome to BC !

Now to your problem. Nope i don't think you can if you can't even boot from safe mode then... theres something in the system... the only way is to reformat.

Good luck.. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Claudio

#3 Anarchyboy44

Anarchyboy44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

Oh man, what a mess. I think this is way over my head. It actually won't even
let me reformat it. Trying brings up the same blue screen of death (Registry_Error screen). Crazy. Oh and Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be here. :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

Do you have the Windows XP disc? Is it "upgrade" or full version?

Or - do you have a restore disc from the computer manufacturer?

#5 Anarchyboy44

Anarchyboy44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:46 AM

It's the one you get with the computer.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:45 AM

It's the one you get with the computer.

Try to give answers which contain some information if you want people to give their time to helping you with your problem.

If you have an XP CD you should be able to boot from that and do a 'Repair' installation which may fix your booting problem and enable you to look at what else may be wrong.
There's detail here, for example: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Edited by Rimmer, 05 May 2005 - 04:46 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 kevlamh

kevlamh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:18 AM

Hi all,
Just my 2-cents worth.

I have also had this problem, and found that the only way to resolve it was to boot to "safe" mode (tap the F8 key, just after the PC starts up, until the boot options screen comes up) and do a " system restore" in this mode to an earlier date, preferably two days back if possible.

Alternatively you may elect to use the option to startup with the "last known good......"

Remember you will have to login as an administrator to do this effectively.

This problem could occur when either one of your memory modules or the graphics card has failed.

First try the above options and try to boot normally - if the blue screen appears again I would advise you to at least replace the graphics card first - this SHOULD be the least expensive option.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Kev'

:thumbsup: :flowers: Whups,

I have just reviewed you first post and noticed that you CANNOT boot to safe mode!!

I have to agree that you may need to reformat, but suggest that you replace the graphics card first!!

If the PC has a good stiffy drive, you could try to restart the PC using a windows 98 boot disk and try to reformat the root drive from there and then reload XP.

You may also be able to use that boot disk to save any important info that may be on the root drive, but this may take a while

good luck!!

Kev'

Edited by kevlamh, 05 May 2005 - 08:35 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

Do you have an error code?

Also, do you have any idea how large the hard drive is and how full it was before this happened?

#9 kevlamh

kevlamh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:18 PM

Hi again,

I received your PM, but thought that I would reply in the forum so that others may see what I am suggesting.

Firstly, HERK has a good point regards the hard-drive; if it is very "full" there is a possibility that XP won't be able to load properly due to a shortage of "virtual memory" on the drive and therefore cause an error message such as the one you received. In this case try to remove any unnecessary programs or documents to increase space on the drive - you can do this using a boot disk from Win95 or 98 and cleaning the disk using DOS commands.

As regards the graphics card, there are certain restraints! I need to know if the cord from the monitor (assuming that this is a tower or desktop PC and not a notebook [laptop]) is connected directly to the motherboard i.e. connected to a "port" in the same general area as the printer, serial ports, USB ports, etc. or is it connected to a card that is protruding out of the actual box.

If this is a notebook, my advice is to take it to an expert as these units are not really within the capabilities of the man in the street to modify or repair due to their compact nature.

OK, if this is a normal PC, and the cord is connected to the port, it could mean that the ONBOARD graphics accelerator has failed. THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM HOWEVER!!

1) should the above be the case, you will need to purchase either a good AGP or PCI graphics card (maybe the other members will be able to assist here, I don't have much knowledge of these cards). If you open the "box" you should see a few WHITE connector slots on the main board - these are the PCI slots. There could also be a green slot offset from the rest of the slots - this will be the AGP slot. (I do not suggest that you use the AGP as the speed requirements of the card may not suit the motherboard - PCI is a better route).

2) if the cord is connected to a card in one of the PCI slots, I suggest that you try to borrow one from another PC and replace the existing card, then try to boot the machine again - if the machine boots properly, you know that the original card was faulty and needs replacement.

3) if the card should be replaced, try to purchase an identical card as this should save you having to re-load the graphics drivers.

4) if the graphics is onboard, still try another borrowed card in one of the PCI slots, but in this case you will need the card drivers for it to work at optimum.

IN THIS CASE slot the card into a PCI slot and connect the monitor cord to it - remember to tighten the card onto the case. Boot the PC and hopefully it should work- before you boot the machine, ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT POINT is to access the bios of the PC to DISABLE the onboard graphics-when you start the PC, there should, on the very first screen, be some message similar to "press F1 OR alt-esc OR DEL" to access the menu - unfortunately I don't know the Dell machines, so you will have to try to find this message and then find the disable for the O/B graphics - this is normally in the "chipset" settings OR the peripheral settings. (If this works then obviously the O/B is faulty and a new card in a PCI slot is indicated). If the PC came with a user manual, there should be a section dealing with the bios in it.

In either case, I suggest that you purchase a card with a minimum of 32Mb onboard RAM so that you have a good acceleration.

Does this help - has anybody any other suggestions??

Regards,

Kev'
Posted Image

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

It seems like there are 2 things everyone is trying to fix here.

A> The Graphics Card
B> Reformatting your computer

Assuming its now your Graphics Card skip down to the Reformatting Area

Graphics Card

Mission: Rehooking up the Graphics Card (if not built directly into the motherboard)

Tools Needs: Flat-Blade Screw driver, Philips (+) screw driver, anti-static wrist band (if you have one or make sure you have a metal surface (not your computer) that you can ground yourself with, before taking apart your computer), Shop-Vac

Instructions

1.)Power of the machine (if not already off)
2.) Unhook all wires in the back of the computer
3.) Make sure the power switch in the back is switched off (if one not there, don't worry about it)
4.) Locate the screws (if any) holding the casing of the computer to it
5.) Unscrew (if any) any screws that may be holding the casing to the computer
6.) Once the case is off, locate the graphics card
7.) Unlock the tabs that are holding the card in there
8.) Pull out the card
9.) Use a toothbrush or a small art brush to dust off the card
10.) Vaccuum the computer (any places you see dust, and the slot where the card is)
11.) Put the Card back into the slot
12.) Put the cover back on
12a.) Hook up all the wires
13.) Boot up (if this still doesn't work, purchase a new video card and do the same instructions for installing the card. :thumbsup:

Reformatting Area
You might want to try to download a floppy boot disk to boot to the command prompt (DOS! :flowers:)

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Download and install a bootdisk for anything windows platform; as long as you can get to the command prompt you'll be fine.

Moving on...

1. Double clickon the file you just downloaded.
2. Insert Floppy
3. Wait for it to copy files

Boot the computer with problems, with the floppy disk.
Get to the command prompt by following the instructions on the screen.

If your not sure that your at the command prompt. It looks like this A:\>

1. Type in C: ( Now the A:\> Changes to C:\>)
2. type Dir /p to make sure you can view your files.
3. If you can, type format C:
4. Confirm
5. Get something to Eat or take a break (this will take a while depending on how big the hard drive is.

3a. If you can't access C:\ or either can't see the files try a different boot-up disk.

Once you have reformatted the computer, get out your Windows CD and boot up with that (if you don't boot up with either the floppy or the CD you will get an error Hard Drive Disk not found -or- Operating System not Found

Install Windows with the CD using the key that you used in the first place. Or if it came with the computer it will be on the side of the computer most likely.

Edited by yanowhiz, 05 May 2005 - 08:20 PM.

#11 Red Head

Red Head

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

BSOD,S always have a stop code did you write down exactly what the error screen said and the stop code?

0x00000051 REGISTRY_ERROR Something has gone terribly wrong with the Registry. It could indicate the Registry received an I/O error while attempting to read one of its files as a result of a hardware problem or file system corruption.

#12 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

BSOD,S always have a stop code did you write down exactly what the error screen said and the stop code?

0x00000051 REGISTRY_ERROR Something has gone terribly wrong with the Registry. It could indicate the Registry received an I/O error while attempting to read one of its files as a result of a hardware problem or file system corruption.

Yes as soon as you can please provide this. Cause maybe the real answer has nothing to do with the video card.

Oh man, what a mess. I think this is way over my head. It actually won't even
let me reformat it. Trying brings up the same blue screen of death (Registry_Error screen). Crazy. Oh and Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be here. smile.gif

First try the above options and try to boot normally - if the blue screen appears again I would advise you to at least replace the graphics card first - this SHOULD be the least expensive option.

I see no connection to the video card... however if there is (which I dont' know why) I provided instructions on that. The only reason I gave that knowing that there probably wasn't a connection was b/c I'm normally having to get inside the family desktop computer.

Edited by yanowhiz, 05 May 2005 - 09:12 PM.

#13 Anarchyboy44

Anarchyboy44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:20 AM

Registry_Error
***STOP: 0x000000051 (Had onother set of numbers here, but I didn't write them down)

Thats what it said.

She has actually left college for home, so I can't help her anymore. But thanks everyone.

Edited by Anarchyboy44, 06 May 2005 - 09:22 AM.

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:25 AM

That appears to be a Windows registry error. It could be caused by a bad memory manager or even by bad RAM. HERE is the Microsoft link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users