Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron AC Adapter not working...again

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sommaw

sommaw

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:48 AM

Hey guys

I have a Dell Inspiron 710m. Last May-ish, my charger (the AC adapter) stopped working, so I bought a new one. Now, this one stopped working, too.

At first, the green light would just randomly go off and it would stop charging (which would result in my computer shutting down because my battery life sucks). If I unplugged it, than plugged it in again, it was fine. This happened a few times over the span of two days. Now, it's not working at all-the light isn't turning on.

I don't understand what's going on...Is it just coincidence that both this happened to both my AC Adapters? Is it my computer? My battery? The wiring in Saudi Arabia?? :huh:

I don't want to have to keep buying new batteries...
Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks

PS-Don't know if this is at all relevant, but after my last charger, I kept this one plugged in a surge protector at all times.

"Where's the any key???"
-Homer Simpson
;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Is this an original Dell replacement? Any warranty?

The wiring in Saudi Arabia??
I kept this one plugged in a surge protector at all times.

A surge suppressor does just what its name implies. I would consider a line conditioner
http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/produ...D=508&CID=1
or a good UPS unit capable of monitoring over and under voltages
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sommaw

sommaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

Is this an original Dell replacement? Any warranty?

As in directly from dell? nope. Actually I can't remember the name of the site I ordered it from. No warranty. And my computer is waaaaay past warranty.

A surge suppressor does just what its name implies. I would consider a line conditioner
http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/produ...D=508&CID=1
or a good UPS unit capable of monitoring over and under voltages

So you think both chargers were faulty? Will a line conditioner prevent this from happening again?

Thanks
"Where's the any key???"
-Homer Simpson
;)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:43 PM

No warranty. And my computer is waaaaay past warranty.

I meant a warranty on the adapter

So you think both chargers were faulty? Will a line conditioner prevent this from happening again?

I don't know the quality of the adapter you purchased, but something has to be burning them out

If you're buying aftermarket, you have to match the specs exactly. The one I'm looking at:
input: 100-240V~1.5A~50-60Hz
output: 19V~3.16A
That's for a Dell Inspiron

Edited by garmanma, 26 October 2008 - 12:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 sommaw

sommaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

yeah no warranty.

so what do you recommend? and how do i know if its the adapter or something else?
"Where's the any key???"
-Homer Simpson
;)

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:59 PM

Well, I have the ability and test equipment the check the electrical part of the equation. Most people do not. You would have to find someone qualified.
Other than that I would purchase one from Dell or at least find one with some type of warranty
Mark
Posted Image

#7 sommaw

sommaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

ok sounds good. should i avoid the surge protector I've been using or the outlet its plugged into? Or should I get it tested first or what?
"Where's the any key???"
-Homer Simpson
;)

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

Keep it on the surge protector, but definitely have the outlet checked out
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users