Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advent 7105 laptop screen not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 big--phil

big--phil

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:58 AM

Hi,

I have an Advent 7105 laptop running Windows XP SP3.

I took off my keyboard and accidently pulled out two wires connected with little plugs/clips onto what looks like maybe a wireless card or something (it was a card with a chip with AW-GM100 on it, the card pops out like RAM). The wires head in the direction of the screen and seem to be connected to the screen. Maybe they go to an aerial in the screen.

I put the wires back into the plugs/clips and when I put the laptop back together and turned it back on, the screen didn't come on at all. The laptop turns on but the screen doesn't.

I opened up my laptop a few months ago, and I pulled these same two wires out. When I put them back in then, the laptop and screen worked fine.

I have the laptop for two years and I have everything backed up on an external harddrive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Edited by big--phil, 26 October 2008 - 12:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

accidently pulled out two wires connected with little plugs/clips

If you mean you grabbed it by the wires and pulled it out, there's the possibility you damaged the connection internally. Those are pretty small gauge wires
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 big--phil

big--phil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

Hi,

Actually, I checked again and the two wires are connected to a card with a chip on it that says AW-GM100, it does not say ATI on it like I said before. I think this card is actually a wireless card (according to google). The two wires coming out of it then go into the screen, maybe as an aerial for the wireless or something.

But yes I just pulled them out. I pulled them out a few months ago by accident too (you think I would have learnt my lesson). I put them back in that time and both my screen and my wireless worked fine.

There are a couple of other connections which are connected to the screen, and I plugged them out and in again but the screen still doesn't come on when I start up my computer.

What could be the problem, maybe I knocked something loose?

Thanks for the help.

:thumbsup:

P.s. I edited my original post.

Edited by big--phil, 26 October 2008 - 12:57 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

Yes an antenna wire goes into the monitor, but so does the power for the inverter and backlight
Best thing to do is to carefully take it apart and look
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 big--phil

big--phil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

Hi,

I opened it up and looked around. The wires I pulled out are infact the aerial wires so I don't think they have anything to do with the screen not working.

There are a couple of other cables from the screen, when i fiddled with one of them, the screen came back on but only displayed the initial startup screen (the first thing that comes up when i usually turn it on). But when i turned off the laptop and turned it on again, then the screen didnt come on again. :thumbsup:

Maybe i was just a bit aggressive with the connections when i took it apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users