Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow reacting right mouse button

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lurkynot

lurkynot

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:47 AM

Lately when using the right button the first click will result in no response. A second click or steadily holding the button down will net results. After that the first click works.

Close same application and reopen and first click does the same thing - will not open until a second click or depressing steadily.

Any suggestions. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

Have you tried using another compatible mouse to see if yours is a hardware problem with the current one.

Please provide some additional details on your system: OS, Mouse brand/model, etc.

Any other system problems?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

It is a Kensington wireless optical mouse. I am running XP. And have not experienced any other system problems. This setup has been darn stable since its purchase 3 years ago until this snafu.

Swapping the oem mouse from Gateway back in to the system would be a bit of task since I am using one of these Bell cable configurations that allows me to run two systems from the same key board and mouse.

I initially did just that earlier this morning and I could not even move the cursor on either system. Then plugged the wireless one back in.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

I can't find a similar problem listed for a Kensington.

We'll need to wait for another to check in here. Sorry.
I'm still thinking a mouse failure, unless a problem with the Bell router - which I doubt.

#5 lurkynot

lurkynot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for your help. I hope it is the mouse as well really have never been to fond of it. Guess the only way to confirm would be to unconfigure the Bell setup and reconfigure the OEM setup.

Does this sound like my only option to verify this?

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:06 AM

UN-configuring will only confirm that it's either that mouse or the Bell system, if a new mouse works. It won't define which of the two is the problem. Good luck and watch this thread for another' s response?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

Bell cable configurations that allows me to run two systems from the same key board and mouse.

I imagine you are referring to a KVM switch. Is the mouse software installed on both computers? Some KVM switches will not work with wireless or specialty mice. I have a trackball that won't work as such
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 bedges

bedges

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

Just wanted to say that I've noticed this behaviour on my work PC and now here at home. At work I use an Intuos graphics tablet with the supplied mouse, and have installed, uninstalled, updated and sworn at various drivers and patches. The first-right-click issue persists.

I've now started to notice the same behaviour with this MS Intellimouse. I'm willing to believe it's just a coincidence but whatever it is, it's certainly a wee bit annoying.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

Sometimes it helps to reinstall the driver. Also take it apart and get all of the crumbs out. The small switches inside can wear out
I notice that I have the bad habit of striking the right button somewhat harder than the left one all the time

Edited by garmanma, 01 December 2008 - 12:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users