Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access the windows update web site...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 almitchelljr

almitchelljr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:29 AM

I have run every suggestion you have mentioned for posting hijack this logs.

The security center shows automatic updates are enabled.
you guys are still looking over my log, but this seems to be serious since there are messages on forum pages to update NOW.

I welcome any suggestions you have.

Would running XP Repair help at all?

I do have admin rights, can't find any network policy issues especially since my laptop functions normaly on the same router.

I am using a speedstream 4100 from ATT.

Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:15 AM

What gets displayed if you try to visit http://www.windowsupdate.com in Internet Explorer? (NB. Use IE not Firefox (if you have FF installed))
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 almitchelljr

almitchelljr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:57 AM

Tom, the following is displayed:

[Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.

Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator for help with updates.

I belong to the admin group, and whatever policy settings i hvae don't prevent my Dell laptop from performing.

Alvie

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

If you have a HJT log in the works, you really should not be contemplating/making changes to your system.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

You have a HJT log posted here That needs further attention on your part:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry983375

you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users