Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing my OEM XP home on a dell pc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ozi

ozi

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:56 AM

Hi Guys
I have a Dell Optiplex 170L P4 [2.8 ] & H/d fully formated .
Can I use my normal XP Home disc to re-install XP to this PC ?
Or does Dell supply a fresh copy if I gave them the Ser NO & XP Activation NO on set ?

Thanks in advance Oziwombat :flowers: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:10 AM

Dell usually will supply replacement restore CD's for your system if you give them a call.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ozi

ozi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

Dell usually will supply replacement restore CD's for your system if you give them a call.

I thought they might & will contact them . Just thought easy to use my old OEM , but concerned Dell M/board might not let me .
Oziwombat

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

The benefit of the Dell CD's is that they'll contain the drivers and applications that came with the system.
Without them you'll have to search for everything that you'll need.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:26 AM

Generally OEM means the operating system is attached to some a computer. If you are installing the operating system on an entirely new computer, rather than reformatting your old computer or replacing the hard disk, you are right, you may have some trouble doing this. I wasn't sure from the title of your thread if this will be installed on a new or different computer than the original. Does Dell also allow you to move your OEM OS from one computer to another?

#6 ozi

ozi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

I thought they might & will contact them . Just thought easy to use my old OEM , but concerned Dell M/board might not let me .
Oziwombat

Thanks to both & advice much appreciated & Dell is the way to go .

Oziwombat :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users