Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing disk drive help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glynnmania

glynnmania

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:46 AM

Hi, I'm running XP and am having the following problem:

I installed a new drive two years ago to hold my music and other large files, so now I have a C and D drive.

I wanted to change my system drive to my D drive and installed XP on it. So now both C and D are running XP. When I logon, my computer prompts me as to which XP I want to load.

I'd like to make my D drive my system drive, it is now my boot drive and I would also like to make it my master drive and to reformat my C drive and make it the slave.

How do I do this?

Also, I tried to change the ribbons internally from master to slave. Now when I boot up I'm having problems as well. It is telling me there is a problem with my disk drive. To log on, I have to press F10. Please help me fix these problems.

Edited by glynnmania, 26 October 2008 - 01:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

There are any number of approaches one could take...

But I would remove the C: drive...leaving just the current D: drive and one optical drive installed/properly connected. That includes the removal of any flash drives/external drives.

Then I would do a repair install on the D: drive, which would make it the C: drive.

After that was complete and I had installed all critical updates...I would connect the other drive. If I did not want any of the files currently on it, I would just use the XP CD to delete all partitions/structures, etc. and then partition/format the storage partition(s) that I wanted.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

Louis

#3 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

I appreciate the help. If I do a repair installation, do I lose the data on disk drive?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

Not normally...please read the links provided re a repair install.

Louis

#5 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:41 PM

Thanks, Louis. I repaired windows, but now I have two windows folders and all the default folders in the start menu are from the new windows folder. I lost none of my data or apps, but I did lose all my settings. What do I do now if I want just one windows folder?

Edited by glynnmania, 26 October 2008 - 11:43 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:51 AM

If you now have two Windows folders...that seems to indicate that you did not do a successful repair...but instead installed XP on the same partition again.

XP FAQ, Two XP Installs On Same Partition - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users