Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI Simple Communications Controller

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 joshbosh

joshbosh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:40 PM

Im running Windows XP, Service Pack3 now, and I have an Intel Motherboard D845GVSR, Intel Celeron Processor, Pentium 4. 2.4Ghz speed. Graphics Card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200.

The name of the driver is "PCI Simple Communications Controller" there is no other information given in the description.

I spent too much time on this driver, any help would be appreciated, I DO have an express installer CD but it keeps timing out with an error..... I do understand the computer is a bit outdated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:47 PM

Try this first:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

Go to "6. Chipset: INF Update Utility for 845 Chipset-Based Intel Desktop Boards", download and install.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 joshbosh

joshbosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the response, I went down there and downloaded the driver, it seems that the PCI Simple Communications Controller still hasn't been recognized.

Edited by joshbosh, 26 October 2008 - 08:54 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

Isn't that an onboard modem?

If it is, why not just disable it in the BIOS?

Louis

#5 joshbosh

joshbosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

Sorry but I dont understand what purpose that would serve, if you could please describe to me what and why I should do that (being serious, Im not too knowledgable about hardware).

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

Could be onboard LAN. Do you have the yellow exclamation mark under "network adapters" in device manager, do you find any listing for a LAN/network adapter? The LAN driver is on the same page I linked above.

Edited by dpunisher, 26 October 2008 - 04:12 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

Click Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc, hit Enter or OK.

Do you see anything listed under the modem category?

Do you see anything listed under the network adapter category?

Any yellow or red markings? If so, please post pertinent description.

I guess that I have to ask...just how do you know that this driver is lacking or uninstalled in the system?

Louis

#8 joshbosh

joshbosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

Well Under Network Adapters is Intel® PRO/100VE Network Connection.. I don't see any LAN category.
The yellow Sign is on Other devices.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d59/shin...viceproblem.jpg

Edited by joshbosh, 26 October 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:31 AM

I'd expect the device is probably a dial-up modem. Since there is no modem appearing in your Device Manager, if there is a phone line connection on the system, that's what is missing.

To identify the device, you can use system analysis software such as Everest Home or SIW.

Alternatively, if you right-click on that device and select Properties, go to the Details tab and choose Hardware IDs, and post what is shown for the device, we may be able to ID it from that. (There may be more than one listing, but for a single-function device, they should be substantially the same eg my modem shows variations on PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4378....)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:07 AM

To add to the above post:
http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Once you get your ID string, enter it there to see what you have (hopefully).

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

Considering joshbosh admitted not being hot on hardware, and the device database doesn't necessarily immediately identify the actual device to get a driver for, I wasn't going to suggest he go for it unassisted. But if you want to look it up for yourself josh, on the PCI database, the four characters after the first _ are for the Vendor search, and the four following the second _ are for the Device search.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

I probably should have asked this before, but...what type of Internet connection does this system use?

If you have a broadband connection, I would just disable the modem in the BIOS. No point in loading a driver for a device that is not going to utilized.

Louis

#13 joshbosh

joshbosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

I use Cable, our internet provider is Time Warner Cable.

PCI\VEN_1813&DEV_4000&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1813&DEV_4000&SUBSYS_00000000
PCI\VEN_1813&DEV_4000&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1813&DEV_4000
PCI\VEN_1813&DEV_4000&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_1813&DEV_4000&CC_0780
these are the ID's that come in the window

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:10 AM

MD5628D, an Ambient/Cirrus modem device, used in units like Intel HaM modems, possibly Conexant etc.

As HaMluis said, if you don't use the modem at all, you can A) leave it as it is, Windows just doesn't know how to use it, or B ) remove it from the system. If it's on-board (that board doesn't appear to have on-board modem listed, but if it is the phone jack will usually be in the block near the LAN connection) it can be disabled from the BIOS setup screen. If it is a physical modem card, the phone cable jack or jacks will be in a backplate, and the system could be opened and the modem removed and a blank plate fitted. Either way would remove the unknown device entry from Device Manager.

If you'd like to be able to have the dial-up modem functional, you could also try the system analysis software to see if they give more precise ID of the modem, or try the Intel HaM modem drivers from here and see if they work for you.

Edited by Platypus, 28 October 2008 - 12:11 AM.

#15 joshbosh

joshbosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

Thank you all very much, I just had no idea what it was. I'm gonna go ahead and disable it since I don't use it, I was just worried it might be something important.....which it comes out not to be, thanks again everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users