Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing 10GB drive into old IBM Activa

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Genealogy Rules

Genealogy Rules

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

First, let me say I did try to update the BIOS to make sure that wasn't causing a problem but the system would not update. It said the system was not recognized by the flash utility. ?????

One of my coworkers gave me an IBM Activa 2144-67P to work on. The hard drive it had in it was clicking and would occasionally read something, however, it would no longer boot. I was able to rescue the high majority of his important files by hooking up the old drive to my XP machine and trying to copy several times. The drive in it was a Seagate Medalist 6531 6.5GB drive. The drive I have to replace it with is a 10GB Western Digital Caviar. The old Seagate was detected in the BIOS but only showed up as 52MB's. The new Western Digital Drive will not show up in the BIOS for anything. I do have the Western Digital Data Lifeguard tools on a diskette but they come up with a divide error before doing anything. I have the jumper set as master on the WD but have moved it around to different settings just trying to get something to happen.

I do have a slightly newer IBM PC 350-75 which sees the entire 10GB drive with no problems. The BIOS on it was updated a while back though.

I'm sure some of the more experienced people in here will know what to do to get this thing to show in the BIOS. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

It's been a long time and I'll have to go through my notes. It has something to do with going into the BIOS and configuring the hard drive manually.
I'll get back if no one else has the answer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users