Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whipping a Harddrive because of a Virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DogDancing

DogDancing

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:33 PM

Hello,

I need some help, I am attempting to reformat & reinstall my computer. But the fact of the matter is I don't know how to go about doing that.
I am running Windows XP SP2, I looked for the CD that installed my OS, but it says it came pre-installed on my computer.
The reason I am trying to reformat & reinstall is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175354/infected-with-braskt/ which came to the conclusion of reinstalling my OS.
So, is there a way for me to whip it without a CD?
PS: I also have a external hard-drive which has some files I will be putting on my new installation after I get it done.

Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:49 PM

How old is your computer? These days most new off-the-shelf computers do not include installation disks.
They do, however, include a recovery partition which contains the files you need to reinstall.
Open up Computer from your desktop.
Do you see a Drive D or any other drive other than C and your external drive listed under Hard Disk Drives? If so, that will be where the files are.

You will need the XP key BEFORE installing. It's usually on a sticker somewhere on the computer case.
If you don't see the sticker, you can run Belarc Advisor which will give you the 25 number key.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you have any questions or concerns, please ask before you reinstall the OS.
Also, include the make and model of your computer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 October 2008 - 10:50 PM.

#3 DogDancing

DogDancing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

I see the CD Drive(D:) but that's it. Also, my computer isn't all that new its about 4-5 years old.
Its a Dell DImension DE051
Intel®
Celeron® CPU 2.53GHz
1.00GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition, version 2002
Service pack 2

Not sure if that's the information you wanted.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

Probably easiest to contact Dell with your model number and ask for a restore CD. There may be a charge for this.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 big--phil

big--phil

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hi,

Check out this site for making your own installation CD from the files on your computer:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...030030ABD62408A
&doclang=en&cs=
Read the note window at the bottom of the page. The last time I used it, it was free of charge

Edited by garmanma, 26 October 2008 - 05:41 PM.
looks weird but the link works

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users