Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install older games on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nikita

Nikita

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hello. I like playing older games but sometimes they don't always work on Windows XP. I had a question about two games I'm trying to install.

One is called King's Quest V. I think it's originally from 1991 but the disk says a 1996 copywrite. The message I get when I try to install it is " Insufficient local memory:36806" error. We have plenty of disk space on our computer. I'm not sure what local memory is. As far as I know, the games are not corrupted but I'm wondering if I need an emmulator to play them? Or some type of software to help install them? When I try to install this game, it doesn't direct install, I just get a pop up of all the files that are in it in the "E" CD-ROM drive that it's in. I get the message when I click on one of the files that has an Install name on it. There is a file with a crown symbol on it to install them but I get a box saying "select a synthesizer type", so I choose Base-level. I was able to get the game to a point of asking me which drive to pick to install it in. It gives me a choice of A to L I think? But I'm not sure if I should type in the letter E or if that's the wrong hard drive to install it in. I get confused between the terminology between which CD ROM drive and which computer hard drive they are talking about. I backed out, because I wasn't sure if I should proceed, or if that would only be installing part of the game and I might be goofing something up.

That's the problem with these older games. I'm not comptuer savvy enough to figure out how to install them manually. Should I try the option "write them to CD" when I click on the File tab? The game disk has to be loaded in the "E" CD ROM drive on my computer. (It comes up as my DVD-RW (E:) drive.) It's the main DVD/compact disk/DVD+R DL drive for the computer. I have a second DVD ROM drive, that's just for DVD Roms I guess. But I load all my computer games in the first main ROM drive.

The other game is called Noctropolis and it's from 1994. It's says MS-DOS on the disk itself. When I try to click on one INSTALL folder, I got an error message saying: "an application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly." The other message I get when I click on another INSTAL file, has the game starting to install but then I get a "Install Info Error: file =: wrong number of params" error.

I'm just not sure what I need to do to install these two games. I want to make sure I install them properly because we had some major computer problems recently which finally got fixed, and I don't want to goof up anything on our computer by installing old games incorrectly. Our computer can be touchy sometimes.

I did play another old King's Quest game on an emmulator for older games called the SCUMM-VM. But I'm not sure if that's what I need for these games or if I'm just not clicking on the right things to install them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

http://www.dosbox.com/

#3 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

http://www.dosbox.com

I've had problems with DOSbox only use it if it's a DOS game otherwise use compatability mode (Right-click program/shortcut--->Properties--->Compatability)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users