Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer goes BOOM every time i connect my TV cable?


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 The Punisher

The Punisher

  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

Going BOOM may be a bit over, but it does fry up my PC.

Here is how it goes, I have a TV card in my computer and a cable connection, It used to work fine but i disconnected the cable for a couple of months and then when i wanted to reconnect my cable to my pc, it started acting wierd, first off as soon as the cable touched my P casing it gave a huge spark, like not one of those ordinary sparks but a really bright spark as if i was actually touching a live electric wire with my PC casing.

I also noticed that once i touched the cable with the casing and after the spark the cable was kind of attached magnetically to the casing body, like i had to apply some force to disconnect the cable that was just touching my PC, like either the PC or the cable had some magnetic properties.

K so I ignored that spark and connected the cable, after a few seconds smoke emitted from my PC and it fried the power supply.

The cable is a common co-axial cable used for cable transmission. I used the same cable in my television and it worked fine.

I also gave the TV card to my friend and he tested it out on his PC and it did not give any errors or any sparks. so card is fine too.


HELPING ME!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 55,391 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I have a tuner card also, a Hauppauge card.

A coax cable does not transmit sparks normally...if you have what appears to be a coax cable and it has live wire properties...I'd have to say that's an issue that needs to be taken up with someone.

OTOH...maybe it was your system that was creating the apparent short with the metallic coax...hard for me to say from what you write.

Checking the card accomplishes nothing, since the card was of no consideration when the apparent short happened.

If...whatever created the short...doesn't exist any more...nor does your former power supply...I'd have to guess that this is not just coincidence.

I'm not sure just what you want anyone here to comment on...

Louis




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users