Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

various problems with recovered computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 imabitdizzy

imabitdizzy

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

Well I have had all sorts of problems with my laptop. It is a Latitude 100L and it was an ARMY computer. They yanked the Hard Drive and then gave it to my husband. Well, we purchased a new hard drive, installed it, then installed windows XP Pro. (simply because that was the copy we have on all our computers) Well, I got it running relatively well, but now the wireless internet will not work more than 10 feet away from my router. I never really intended on the laptop leaving this room (12x22 ft room) but it wont even work while sitting on my couch which is maybe 10 feet away. It is a Dell 1370 wireless card I believe. I know it is an old one, but this is crazy.

After we get the internet issue figured out I can go on to other minor issues if I cant figure it out myself. Thanks so much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

The Dell will have a service tag number on it. Use that at this website to get the drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 imabitdizzy

imabitdizzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

I have all the drivers. Ive updated them a couple times

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

Does it connect well with a wired connection? Have you opened up the case to see if you can reseat the wireless card?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 imabitdizzy

imabitdizzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

I have taken it out and put it back in, Ive rebooted the computer, and I have hooked it up with a wire. It runs just fine when hooked with a wire. It has internet, but I cant go more than about 6 feet from the router. I have tried updating windows, updating drivers, and nothing works. I have even tried to move my router to make it more accessible but nothing...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

I don't do wireless...but I believe the situation you describe was very common to wireless setups at one time...which spawned repeaters, etc. so that users could improve their wireless capabilities.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

Since it works fine with a wire, then it's gotta be a problem with the wireless card.
Maybe try a PMCIA wireless adapter? Maybe a new wireless card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users