Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Best method for backing up hardware drivers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

The computer I have is a custom-build, from a local vendor. There was no restore disc included, and the shop installed XP using a license I had when my ex and I were together (so he didn't charge me for another copy). I have since secured an OEM copy with its own license, and am ready to wipe and rebuild my computer.

However, I need to back up all my hardware drivers. What is both the easiest and the best way to accomplish this? I've seen several programs out there, but I'm not sure which one would work best for what I'm doing.

Recommendations for tools and procedures?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

• 55,045 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Once installed, there is no way to "back up" drivers or programs, other than to do a system image or total system backup using software developed for said purpose.

If it's a custom-built system, the drivers have to be spec'd by the motherboard manufacturers and their website is where one would normally get drivers for that board from. I say "normally" because some manufacturers do not retain a permanent inventory of all drivers for every board they have ever made.

Really...there is only one key driver needed for most of us...the NIC/network driver. I say that because...once that is installed, the user can go online and download drivers for the system or motherboard. The default video driver will do until the correct one is installed.

In any case...drivers are not extraordinarily large files and any user should be able to burn copies of them onto a CD for safekeeping.

What I do...I keep every CD that comes with a program or which accompanies a hardware item I purchase. I also keep copies of drivers which I have downloaded (for whatever reason) in clearly marked folders...and I store these folders on a separate partition on one of my storage hard drives/partitions (I have 5).

Any method which gives the user immediate access to drivers/programs which need to be installed...is a good system.

#3 DnDer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Duly noted for next time.

So, the best course of action right now would be to take my system profile and find all my drivers? Or just my video and wireless (to see my computer correctly, so I can install the rest of my drivers - respectively)?

Looks like I have an afternoon cut out for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users