Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it important to install Windows Service Pack 3?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mesmerized

Mesmerized

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hello everyone,

Each time that there are some new updates, windows prompt me to install service Pack 3.

Is it important to install it? What difference does it make?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Yes, Service Pack 3 contains important security and performance updates.

PRIOR to installing Service Pack 3 ensure that:
- you are not infected with malware
- that your drivers have been updated.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

This is fairly informative:
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:33 AM

ok, I understand now but I am not sure that I know how to update my "drivers" (which drivers?). I know that if I open the device manager and right-click each element, there is an update driver option available. Is this what you meant? I have to update the drivers of each component in the device manager?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:15 AM

I would visit the support website of the manufacturer of your system and look for recent updates for drivers that have been posted there.

In general, if your system is working OK, then driver updates aren't needed.
BUT, if you're making a significant change to your system (such as a Service Pack), you'll have to look for drivers that were released in response to the Service Pack requirements.

That takes a lot of reading and researching - so what I do is I look for drivers that were updated from a period a couple of months prior to the release of the Service Pack until now. That'll usually fix any issues that may occur with the Service Pack.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

usasma,
Drivers seems like a problem that might not be there. Wouldn't it be easiest just to download and install SP3? I don't know of very many people who bothered looking for drivers before they installed SP3. They just did it. I do know it's good to have a clean computer before you do that update, like run your antivirus/antispyware programs before you install it and make sure it doesn't find anything.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

In most cases with Service Pack 2 it was bad (outdated) drivers that caused problems with it.
With Service Pack 3 there was a "glitch" caused by loading AMD and Intel processor drivers at the same time (from HP).

With Vista, I had a black screen when updating to SP1 - until I got the Lenovo updates.

Feel free to update without checking your drivers. Most times it'll work just fine. BUT, if you get an error because of this are you prepared to wipe your system, then update the drivers, then install the Service Pack?

#8 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:30 AM

I have a feeling that I am going to mess up my system so I'd rather not update to service pack 3 unless I am sure what I am doing, which I don't!

Thanks for the explanation.

#9 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:25 AM

I have read this topic , having some of the same questions. I did the driver update, and one of the devices showed an error (31). I have figured out that I do need to update the driver for the device. The device is "Direct Parallel " under "network adapters". This is the only computer we have. Do I have "Direct Parallel?" Do I need to update the driver or not? When I go to install it I get the message "Direct Parallel has not passed Windows Logo testing for compatibility with Windows XP". I don't know what website to go to to check for compatibility.

Edited by yellowdog5, 05 January 2009 - 04:37 AM.

#10 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:36 AM

OK, I think maybe I found it on Intel's website. "Network Adapter Drivers for Windows* 2000, Windows* XP, and Windows Server* 2003" Does this look correct?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

Yellowdog5: Would be far better if you started your own topic, rather than piggyback on someone else's thread.

From what I see, the questions/issues are different and merit different posts.

FWIW: Be sure to post specs for your system (manufacturer and model), at a minimum when asking questions relative to drivers.

I'm not sure what "direct parallel" refers to on your system... but I did see a reference to an old (1999) driver for such. Most systems today do not use the parallel port for anything, with parallel port interfaces being made obsolete by USB connectivity at faster speeds.

Louis

#12 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Sorry, I wasn't sure how I should post this. I have since asked the question on the Hardware forum. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users