Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've lost Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

One of the Microsoft updates regarding Office, I believe, has had several adverse effects on my PC.

The first I mentioned in another post in a different section (It involved the loss of my beloved Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition which now refuses to work after years of loyal service. I am not the only one who has reported this.)

The second has involved the LOSS of WINDOWS PICTURE and FAX VIEWER. When I click on an image I get a dialogue box asking me to insert the Office 2002 Disk to remedy, or possibly, remedy this.

The programme was installed on my PC and I do not have a separate disk.

Is there anything I can do, please?

My PC is four years old but has been a brilliant buy!

Windows XP
Internet Explorer 7
Super AntiSpyware Pro
Avira Antivirus Personal
C Cleaner
Malwares AntiMalware
Spyware Blaster

Any help you can offer would be most gratefully received.
My thanks in advance
Reena

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:33 AM

Do you know which updates they are that did this? If you do, search the Microsoft knowledge base for articles that might offer a workaround
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:54 AM

Open Windows Explorer
Tools -> Folder Options
Click File Types
Find JPEG
Click Change
Choose Windows Picture and Fax viewer from the list and click OK

Repeat this for other affected entries. I would suggest JPEG, JPG, TIFF, GIF and BMP. That should restore you're settings to normal.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#4 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

Tom: Thank you for the suggestion. I can view my images with other programmes but Windows Picture need to be reinstalled. I don't know why this has just "vanished" from my PC but, as I mentioned in my first post Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition now no longer works either.

Mark:

Office 2003 Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB956500) 22 September 2008 Automatic Updates

Office 2002/XP Security Update for Microsoft Office XP (KB953405) 22 September 2008 Automatic Updates

Office 2003 Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB956500) 21 September 2008 Automatic Updates

Office 2002/XP Security Update for Microsoft Office XP (KB953405)

I am sure one of these is responsible. I'll check the Microsoft sites.

My thanks to you both.

Reena

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

If worse comes to worse, you could remove them one at a time to find the offending one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

You will consider this a stupid question but...................how do I remove these, please?

I went to Add/Remove and expected to find theml listed there but they are not, though the Microsoft site tells me all updates have been installed successfully

#7 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

I presume you ticked "Show Updates" at the top of the list?
If so, it would suggest that the updates are not removeable.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#8 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:58 AM

Tom: No I hadn't! :thumbsup: Thanks for the reminder. I'm off to see what happens!

Reena (UK)

#9 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:25 AM

I uninstalled Microsoft KB953405 and my old Adobe PhotoDeLuxe programme WORKS!! Brilliant!

I can now open my images with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer but when I attach them to e-mail and want to check them out I still get that message and the ultimate Error 1706.

However I can put up with this...........I think!

My thanks again to ALL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users