Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ubuntu boot issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thekanclub

thekanclub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

hi,
i am new to linux and i have download ubuntu 8.10 and installed on my machine
my machine spec pentium 4 with 2.4 ghz and 256 mb ram, hdd 40 gb and i have windows xp sp3 and tried to install ubuntu as a dual operating system and it installed successfully , after i entered the username and password on ubuntu i see only orange wallpaper with mouse cursor and nothing else. please guide me what should i do..

thanks in advance
Thanks & Regards,
blissful chap

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
most of the things we desire are expensive, but the truth is :
the things that really make us happy are free:
Love
joy
laughter
and of course Linux....lol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thekanclub

thekanclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:50 AM

can any one help me please :thumbsup:
Thanks & Regards,
blissful chap

Love
joy
laughter

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

Can you see your mouse cursor? if so go to the top of the screen and see if you have a menu bar (I thinks its set to "hide" automatically)

There are no Icons on the desktop by default in Ubuntu. Only a Menu bar and and a Task Bar (top and bottom of screen respectively)

Posted Image

#4 thekanclub

thekanclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:48 AM

thanks a million for replying my message Blackspyder, i have checked at the top as well as at the bottom of the screen, however there is no menu bar or the task bar, it just have blank yellow screen with mouse cursor. please advice.

thanks again :thumbsup:
Thanks & Regards,
blissful chap

Love
joy
laughter

#5 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

i assume you are being patient enough?what your seeing is indeed what appears first on your machine,butit may be as much as oh say 20 seconds before the screen fully boots.if indeed you arent getting the top and bottom menu bars,your next step would be a reinstall.depending on the strength of your machine you may need to choose an alternate installation configuration.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

I'm gonna assume your running 8.10 RC (Release Candidate) and the issue is going to be with Compiz Fusion (Desktop Effects) since you didnt mention your graphics card and your Memory seems a little low to be running it anyways (I have issues with 512MB RAM and a 7300GT)

so Lets try this

At the login page there is a "Session" button that should open up to a list choose "Failsafe Gnome" and then log in as normal and see if that works. Then post back and we'll go from there.

Posted Image

#7 thekanclub

thekanclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:19 AM

sorry for delayed reply
yep, i already tried that, it doesn't work so am planning to upgrade my memory, though i dont have any problems with windows xp but still i am very eager to learn and work with linux. so i downloaded puppy linux and working the same :trumpet: though i am master in windows when it comes to linux i a dumb duck so i am learning a lot :thumbsup: thanks a million for all who replied my queries.
i also have one doubt can i install pclinuxos with this 256 MB ram on that my graphic card with eat 8 mb of ram :flowers:

Edited by thekanclub, 31 October 2008 - 05:15 AM.

Thanks & Regards,
blissful chap

Love
joy
laughter

#8 thekanclub

thekanclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

Hi guys,
i am learning a lot about linux, now i installed xubuntu and this time it worked i installed using safe graphical mode and it worked :flowers: :trumpet:

am gonna try with ubuntu and let you know once it's done :thumbsup:

Edited by thekanclub, 07 November 2008 - 09:50 AM.

Thanks & Regards,
blissful chap

Love
joy
laughter

#9 ad916

ad916

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:39 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to install ubuntu 5.10 for the first time on my notebook, the installation went fine without any problems, however when the system restarted it got stuck on a command line interface. Does it have something to do with the specs of my PC? If not, what should I do?

here are the specs:

processor-celeron,1.86Ghz
RAM-256 MB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users