Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion Slimline video card?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 itbookham

itbookham

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:54 AM

Hi,

I am working on an HP Slimline Pavilion system, which is connected to an HP LCD monitor. When you power the system unit, the monitor displays: No input - VGA mode. The monitor then goes to sleep. The monitor has a VGA cable which connects to a VGA/DVI converter which seats in the DVI port of the system unit.

I have tried connecting the HP monitor to another computer just using the VGA cable and it works fine. I have tried using two VGA/DVI converters on the HP Pavilion unit and both do not work. Does it seem as if the PCIe Video card in the HP computer is unserviceable? Presumably, you can buy these cards with both DVI and VGA ports?

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

P.S. As a corollary to the above. I noticed that there is an integrated VGA port on the back of the computer, but it was covered with a plastic cover labelled 'Do Not Remove'. Does anyone know if this port can be used and why was it labelled as such?

Edited by itbookham, 25 October 2008 - 06:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

If a different monitor encounters the same problem on the Slimline..that's a clue.

At that point, I would check to see if there is an actual video card installed...or whether it's onboard video. Actually, a user can tell that just by looking at the rear of the system and seeing where the video connector is.

If there is a card and onboard video...I would try the onboard connector, regardless of any "warnings." The onboard probably won't work as long as a physical video card is installed...so I would remove such if it exists.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:54 AM

there is an integrated VGA port on the back of the computer, but it was covered with a plastic cover

That's just to protect it while not in use.
Monitor adapters and gender changers are a crapshoot. They don't always work
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users