Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows, now getting DOS screen asking to select Windows.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JD12

JD12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:30 AM

I had to format and reinstall my windows and since then I've been getting a DOS screen everytime I boot my computer. The DOS prompt is asking me to select which Windows to use, and it gives me two choices which are the same Windows XP. I figure that it must have been something I did while I was reinstalling. Does anyone know how to disable that screen? Appreciate any feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:48 AM

It sounds like you managed to install a second application of Windows. The easiest way would be to wipe the drive so that you know that it is clean and reinstall the operating system. You can use a free application like Active KillDisk to wipe the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:20 AM

It sounds to me like even though you have reformatted and reinstalled you have installed windows to a different drive letter.

If this is the case, I have a fix for you :flowers:
This is done by using the boot options menu

1. Click Start. Right click My Computer. Select Properties -> Advanced Tab
2. In the "Startup and Recovery" box, click the settings button.
3. Uncheck the "Time to display list of operating systems" box in the system start up box. This will now change its timer value to 0 seconds and this menu will no longer be displayed.
4. Click OK twice

I wish you luck :thumbsup:

Edit: Please try this before using Active KillDisk. This is most likely the solution you need. If problems persist I also advise you to start ove and format with active killdisk.

Edited by Teenage.Zombiee, 25 October 2008 - 04:23 AM.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:36 AM

I would log into windows and check the disk out before doing anything. In the disk management, loot at the partition tables. Were the 2 windows applications put on diferent partitions? If so, figure out which is the working one, or if they both work, pick the one you want, then delete the other partition, and extend the current one to fill the free space.

In case you have trouble with the Windows and partitions, here is a link to a bootable iso program, g-parted, a linux based bootable partition editor, its simple to use, has a decent gui, and open source. I think you can also load it to a bootable usb drive
Gparted LiveCD

If you do what zombie said (no offense), its just taking away the choice that menu gives you, its not getting rid of the potential problem, 2 copies of windows,

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

I should explain that the reason that I suggested that you wipe the drive and just do a fresh installation is that you are going to have to determine which of the operating systems is the one that you wish to keep, and if you choose the wrong one you will wind up doing this anyway. Another reason that I suggested this is because if you have any infections wiping the hdd will eliminate these as well, and will leave you with a clean hdd to start a fresh installation. And last of all, since you just made the other installation you should have all of the applications, backed up files, and driver needed for a fresh install, so it won't be such a daunting task.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users