Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiVirus2009 left me destroyed.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 auquis

auquis

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'm sure we all know about this piece of nasty malware. Well, i finally managed to get the bugger off my system using this guide and program: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re...ntispyware-2009

But after its gone, i'm still having problems. I had to resort to that guide, because the file locations highlighted in the manual removal of the malware were not present on my computer, neither were the registry entries - but the malware was. Now that I used the antimalware program, there appears to be no trace of the malware remaning.

Save I still cannot do any type of system restore (Safe mode or otherwise), cannot open any of my antivirus programs BUT Malwarebytes and SpyBot (which are reporting no problems), nor any other programs, such as Xfire, MSN, AIM, etc.

I am currently using an internet cafe to find a solution.

What can I do?

Additional Info: In the middle of the crisis, i was unable to open any programs without an update demand from Microsoft Office XP and frontpage, in which it could not locate a file called "PROPLUS". Even after transporting the program from this cafe to that computer, it still would not right itself, and i was forced to remove microsoft office completely in order to access any other programs, therefore it is important to me that i can perform a system restore, as I have lost the install disk.

Any assistance would be highly valued, I have been at this for close to six hours now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 auquis

auquis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

Additional Details:

Every time I perform a system restore, the messge "System Restor Incomplete" appears upon reboot.

When i first used the antimalware program to remove AntiVirus2009, a message appeared concerning Microsoft office I believe (although I could be wrong) stating something about files that had been changed permenenatly, and if i wished to restore them to thier original content. Seeing as the antimalware had done it, I had assumed it was for the best, and ignored the message. This may be a factor.

When I double Click on internet explorer (v.7), The window appears for less than a second, then vanishes.

When trying to open a program life Xfire or AVG, the loading hourglass will appear besides my mouse for a moment, dissapear, but nothing will happen.

#3 Noypi_to_its

Noypi_to_its

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:18 AM

you have to uninstal ie7 to make it work again, but since this virus will not allow you to uninstall it in appwiz.cpl or add/remove programs. You'll have to run the uninstaller for ie7. You have to unhide all files and folders, open control panel>folder options>In the Advanced settings list, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK. then click on start>run> paste this on the run box - %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe and follow the prompts. it will then ask you to restart your computer... now boot to safemode with networking... now after restarting your computer... click on start>run>type inetcpl.cpl then optimize your browser... delete cookies, files, reset all settings in security and privacy to default, disable all add-ons, restore settings to default in the advanced panel. After that... you can now download malwarebytes, trojan remover, atf cleaner, dial-a-fix, whatever anti-spyware/antivirus program you want to use.

When I helped someone with this problem, some of his programs were deleted by the virus. Now if the steps above still does not solve your problem, you'll need to download firefox from their ftp server using your command prompt. Am too lazy to type here all the steps. :thumbsup: Do a research about it.

#4 auquis

auquis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:22 AM

That I have done, but my greatest goal here is to perform a System Restore to a few days before this mess.

#5 auquis

auquis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:25 AM

I've just discovered about half my C drive has been deleted. Would this have any affect on attempting a system restore?

#6 auquis

auquis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

A bump

#7 auquis

auquis
  • Topic Starter