Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My right click context menu help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Amberangel

Amberangel

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hi All, I am running Vista premium 64 bit. At the moment I am using the wired mouse that came with my pc. When I right click on a file or folder I have no options to scan that file or folder with my anti virus or spysweeper. Please can someone tell me how I can get these options on my right click. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:49 PM

Just those options missing or the whole menu?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:36 AM

Which anti-virus are you running? The program must be able to integrate itself into Vista's context menu. I found that in some programs which integrate with the menu you can turn off and on the integration in the application.

3939.png

#4 Amberangel

Amberangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:20 AM

Hi, thanks for responding to my question. Here's what I have on my right click context menu when I right click on a folder or file. (Open-Explore-Share-Send to-Cut-Copy-Create Shortcut-Delete-Remove- Properties) I use Norton Internet Security and SpySweeper and niether of them are there. When I click right on an .exe download they are not there either so I cannot run a scan for virus or malware infection. This is just unacceptable and I have no idea what to do. I have googled and have found no solution. Hope you can help. Thank you.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

There could be a conflict between Norton and Spy Sweeper. Norton includes a spyware protection feature making Spy Sweeper unnecessary. Many users of Norton are reporting issues with the context menu. I found this board entry at Symantec regarding a similar issue. Keep in mind that Norton, and many other security programs, scan files as they are opened or accessed. In essence, if you download a file and then run it, Norton scans it in the background.

3939.png

#6 telwat

telwat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:12 PM

Hope this will help
http://www.lopesoft.com/en/index.html

#7 Amberangel

Amberangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hey, I can't thank you enough for all your input and links to other information. I don't think there is a conflict with SpySweeper because I didn't download it for quite some time after I installed Norton. I am going to call Symantec and see what they have to say. Thanks gain for the software site. I will probably end up using it. hagd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users