Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet, yet ping works and Internet gateway says connected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

Ok, new problem my boss encountered today, actually it was three times at three different customers:

Computer cannot get out to the internet. I would list hardware, but all three machines are different, laptop, desktop, dell, hp, lenovo, etc...

IE comes back with a DNS problem whenever a web page is accessed. seems like its a DNS problem, but pinging www.google.com goes through, so there must be something activley resolving the dns. No programs can access internet for updates or for program functions, except email can be received, not sent.

Tried everything, all the ipconfig options, winsockfix, new NIC etc.... Keep in mind all three of these machines were connected to routers where there were no other problems on the other machines on the network. Ran smitfraudfix and combofix, and came back with nothing infecting the machine as far as their scope goes.

So after trying this all for hours at the customers place, he finally decided to try it in safe mode with networkng, and it worked as if there was no problem. When msconfig was looked at to see the startup items and what could have been causing it, nothing peculiar stood out.

So any thoughts, i personally think its a new virus or spyware that is not on the def. list yet. So aside from a reinstall, what other things could this be? do i have to change msconfig one line at a time and reboot X amount of times to isolate it? HELP PLEASE!

-Tenz

Edited by Pandy, 24 October 2008 - 09:13 PM.
moved from Win XP Home and Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noypi_to_its

Noypi_to_its

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:05 AM

have you tried connecting any of those computers directly to your modem, its very unlikely for 3 computers to have their outgoing blocked as you said only thing that works is mail incoming. but then again if all there computers have the same problem, you might want to try re-registering their dll's..

if it's really a dns problem, it wouldn't even let you ping the website itself other than using their ip's

#3 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:08 AM

Yes, did connect them directly to the modem, same outcome. I am not familiar with reregistering the dll's, i did try running IE as "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore" /rereg or something aolong those lines, i saw it in a different post somewhere else, and that did not work either. If that is the process, it did not work, if it is not the process, please tell me what is. Thanks

#4 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

Update:

AVG had a snag with a windows update. They released a fix for this specific issue. It happened to so many of our customers because we are retailers of AVG, so naturally a large number of our customers use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users