Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Examination

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ardixan

Ardixan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum, as it seems to be for building your own, but noticed similiar topics were going here. If someone has a moment, could they see if this computer is worth $500? Link is here

A friend bought it and wants to sell it to me, monitor and all, for 500.

Really, the biggest question is whether or not it'd be able to run games like Crysis, Everquest 2, Warhammer Online and Conan Online without lag. I play a lot of MMORPGs, so Crysis isn't really priority, just a bonus if possible.

Edited by Ardixan, 24 October 2008 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

That computer won't play any of those games at all. It's not really a bad deal because of the 22" monitor, but it has Intel integrated graphics, which won't play modern games well or at all, and the processor is pretty slow. For a processor, don't go less than an Intel core 2 duo, or an AMD Athlon 64 X2.

To play those games, you're probably looking at a computer around $700-$800 if you build it yourself, not including a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

Now, you could buy that computer and throw a graphics card in for about $100-$150, but you may need a new power supply, and the processor is still going to slow you down a bit.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

Nope, that PC won't do. Many systems struggle with Crysis, that one wouldn't stand a chance. Even some MMORPG's will struggle with that PC. To play the games at a decent level of performance and visual quality, you will need to spend about $800, for a little more, you can get one that performs even better. When selecting your new PC, consider the length of time you plan on using the PC. If you buy a new one every couple of years, you don't need the latest and greatest hardware since you will be buying again soon anyway. In this case, you don't need to spend a great deal of cash. If you keep the PC for five years or longer, you will want to have quality parts that have very good performance.

3939.png

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:41 PM

I know its a bit off topic but..........................

I set up a system for a customer this week. Brand new HP system, 24" monitor, dual core Intel and integrated graphics. I almost cried a little hooking up that VGA (not even a DVI output) connector to that big monitor.

The really sad part was they were going to buy a copy of Crysis for their son to play on their new system. I told them upfront there was no way that system would run Crysis except as a slideshow (I broke the news nicely). They didn't believe me because the salesman told them, "It will run any game out there." I gave them prices for a 4850/4870 upgrade and told them to call me.

Fast forward 48 hours, after he went back to wherever he bought it from and b*tched out the salesman and the manager, and I have a 4870 ordered for them. Even that will be hard pressed at 1920X1200 at high settings.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 darkestside

darkestside

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:31 AM

There is no way at all that computer will support any of the games you have listed, especially MMORPG's... Your going to need more video card power to support those games. As Sterling14 said you could buy a video card and power supply for that PC. The E2180 is enough processing power to support all of those games. You might experience maybe a little bit of lag although. I would try and build your own if you can because you will not get any gaming power out of any store bought PC unless you plan on buying a gaming system that costs like 1500-2000. Also as DJBPace07 said about looking at the life of the PC, also look for your ability to upgrade. The systems that I build I can start them out base as base can be but can upgrade them to full blown killer machines(at least to my standards, no crazy 3x video cards lol except for the one i presently own), it all depends on what motherboard you pick.

I run a Pentium 4 D940 at the moment with an ATI X800 GTO^2(yup its been unlocked, it was a sweet video card for its time) with 2gb kingston ram. I play Dark Age of Camelot and only get bad lag when theres like 8 full groups of people on my screen with a keep(thats 64 people on my screen).
Posted Image

#6 Ardixan

Ardixan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

The problem is I know almost nothing about building PCs.

Thanks for the welcome!

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

If you know almost nothing about PC's, you have two options: Build it yourself (and constantly worry you're going to break something) or spend more cash and have someone build one for you. If you want to build your own you will save the most cash, let the members here know and we'll help you draw up a parts list. If you want to just buy a PC, you can go the major manufacturer route or go the boutique builder route. The major manufacturers have PC's ready to ship in a week and have lower prices compared to boutiques, but they often sacrifice quality and customer support. Boutique builders cost more and take longer to ship but often have better quality parts and, usually, good support. Major manufacturers include Dell and HP, boutiques include Maingear (personal favorite) and Puget Systems.

3939.png

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

Building a PC...is not exactly a scientific endeavor :thumbsup:.

Like most things that are simple...it merely requires the ability to read, research, and follow instructions...and remember that there are persons who can answer (just about) any question that you can come up with regarding the assembly of a system.

There are guides available on the Web...relative to putting any component in...there's a wealth of vendors for components, there are reviews and spec sheets for various components if you decide you'd like to know more about such.

But there's nothing available on the Web that will give you the interest, a very important part of assembling a PC.

Louis

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

Indeed, if you do the research building a PC can be fun and leave you with a sense of accomplishment. In fact, there's a little too much information on the net and it can be easy to become confused. There are some good guides to building a PC freely available online. However, if you don't have the time or desire to learn about the hardware, purchasing a full-PC from a vendor is a reasonable alternative.

3939.png

#10 darkestside

darkestside

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:02 AM

As the others said with good research and reading of directions very well you will be able to build your own computer if you believe that you can. I remember my experience with building my first computer, wowzers you wanna talk about a big time mishap... I'm sure none of you have ever done this... Yeah uhhh I forgot to ground the motherboard to the case lol! Did not use the posts just screwed the motherboard right to the case... None the less I got everything put together then next thing that happens POP there goes the power supply. Surprisingly the motherboard and processor did not fry thank god, just the power supply, thank god for the wonders of electronics and fuses. So as long as you remember the posts in the case then everything else is sort of plug this here plug that there but carefully.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users