Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

host file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

:thumbsup: is it correct that a full or filling host file can slow down spyware /antivirus up dates, my host file windows/system32/ drivers /ect after 127.0.0.1 local host as on the next line, #start of entries inserted by spybot. as far as my best guestimate there is 6600 entries followed by # end of entries inserted by spybot. on the same page as host file 260kb i have two more host files one says host.20081011-213432backup and the other says host.20081015-211605backup but when i open the backup hosts they seem to have the same begining and ending, so my question is, can i delete any of or all of the host file after 127.0.0.1 local host and any of or all of the two backup files or will this leave me with a load of adware to contend with, advice on hosts would be gratefully received
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

You can delete them all and run spybot and the updates and it will recreate the host file.

#3 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:53 AM

thank you perr iwill delete them all then run a full scan this afternoon once again thanks for the quick reply
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users