Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving Files For Hard Drive Reformat

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Help Me 101

Help Me 101

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

Well I had this blue screen error on my computer and i've done safe mode, last good configuration and recovery console but none of them worked. So they told me to reformat the computer but is there any way to save all or some of the files on the hard drive?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

Have you tried a system repair to repair the existing installation? Choices and instructions here.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=x...mp;oq=xp+system

#3 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

Will that work even though the problem with my computer is the hardware? Because it says on the link you gave me that it's only for software problems

#4 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

You didn't say it was a hardware problem. You gave little info. It depends on what the problem is.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

Could you please tell us exactly what the error was?

It also might help to know what the make and model of your computer is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

It seems to me that the first priority is to backup your data. Once that's done, you can try all sorts of stuff without having to worry about the data.

A repair install of XP is supposed to leave your data and programs alone - but it's always a good idea to backup "just in case".

In the event that this is a hardware problem, then backing up becomes more urgent (particularly if it's a problem with the hard drive). A failing hard drive can go from "dying" to "dead" in the blink of an eye.

The blue screen is called a hardware error because it is the result of Windows shutting down your system to prevent damage to the hardware. It does not have to be a physical problem with the hardware, it can also be a driver that's working improperly or malware (the 2 most common causes).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

I posted the problem here before, its "Fatal System Error". I can't log on to my account because of the blue screen therefore I can't back up my files by logging on.

The make of my computer is Dell Dimension 2400.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

Your choices would then be limited to boot from a "Live" CD in order to copy the data to CD/DVD or slaving the hard drive to another computer and extracting the data from it there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

^How do I do that? and what do you mean by "slaving" the hard drive to another computer?

Thanks

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

It all depends on what hardware you've got available. You can use a live Linux distro to copy your data to a CD/DVD - but you'll have to ask over in the Linux forums for a recommendation (I don't use them myself). The Linux forums are here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

As for slaving your drive to another system, you'll need a system that has an open slot of the type used by your hard drive - and a cable that'll connect it. Or, you can go to an electronics store and get a drive caddy/enclosure and use that to connect the drive to a USB port on another computer. Be sure to get the right size (2.5" vs 3.5") and the right connector (SATA vs EIDE).

#11 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:05 PM

^Thanks. So apart from those two, there's no other choices?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

Taking it to a shop and having them do it for you?

#13 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

^Oh. Okay LOL. Thanks for the help :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users