Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking Embarassment!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:15 AM

Dear All,

Let me tell you about an event that has...well educated me.

Overclocking. Having a super-fast computer I decided I would try to overclock it for "Ludicrous Speed".

Now I have an ASUS board and vid card that has the ability to go warp speed plus.

So I set the board for 10% more; thinking I would get that much more speed.

What I did not realize is the board has it's own intelligence. Asus calls it AI booster and Asus vid card has a program called Smart Doctor.

Both these programs already boost the CPU, power, ram and whatever else for the maximum safe speed when needed.

Adding 10% sent my computer into meltdown.

Not knowing why my computer was getting so hot, I turned my fans full 12vdc to compensate.

After my computer just shut off, I got pissed. I was ready to throw a temper tantrum against my Antec power supply. Since that was shutting down my computer.

Yes the power supply was hot and it made me mad. With a dozen fans, why was the power supply so hot.

After waiting awhile for the cool down period, I switched the on the computer. It worked for a little while but when it started I noticed a failure.

It said overclocking has failed. Shortly after that it shut down again. So I waited longer knowing now that I am an idiot.

After starting again, I went immediately to change the MB booster back to defaults.

Now I am talking to you from the same computer. Thank you Antec for saving my computer against my stupidity.

Lesson learned here.

junkdk :thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 03 May 2005 - 03:17 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:18 AM

Hi junkdk

Sounds like you got lucky. :thumbsup:

How many watts is that power supply? It almost seems like it shut down because it couldn't handle the load.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:54 PM

Well we all learn some the hard way lol. Im sorry this happened but im glad to here it all went well. I thought about overclocking my new pc but I figure I will wait until the thing is 3 years old(when cpu warranty ends) and then play with it if needed.

Enjoy your stay at BC!

#4 junkdk

junkdk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:46 PM

Dear Leurgy,

I have a Antec 550 watt true power. It does run about 13 vdc though. Antec wants me to send it back.

Ha! :thumbsup: Maybe I will.

Thanks,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:22 AM

It does run about 13 vdc though

Wow. You REALLY got lucky.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 junkdk

junkdk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

Dear Leurgy,

Do you think it is bad to run a 13vdc power supply?

The reason I ask is that it would be a real pain to send back my Antec power supply.

Working in electronics a variation in voltage is not bad in my field but computers?

Let me know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:14 PM

If Antec wants it back (did you tell them it was running at 13?) and you like to overclock I would consider it. It doesn't sound like much, just 1 volt, but that is 10%. Think of that as 120V vs 132V or 240V vs 264V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users