Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade questions for Dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 i555007

i555007

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

I have a laptop that am thinking about up grading, wondering if itís worth upgrading
or if I should build a new slimline desktop

I basically want it to be a little faster, my old AMD 850 athlon w/ 512MB of ram PC is faster
then this laptop.

I donít want to spend more then about $200 otherwise I could just get a barebones system
or something off Craigslist.

What form factor are needed to replace the parts below and can I upgrade the CPU?

Dell Inspiron 8600
Pentium 1.4 GHz
512 MB of RAM
NIVIDA GeForce FX Go5200
37 GB hard drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Interesting read at http://www.notebookforums.com/thread190400.html .

Personally, I think laptops are generally a waste of money for those who don't really need the mobility for whatever their professions/jobs are. Every other use (IMO) relegates a laptop to a toy/foible...and we all know that we spend our money on such without any necessary justification necessary.

With $200, I could buy/build a barebones desktop system that would be a real improvement (RAM, motherboard, CPU, heatsink/fan, and case) and that would allow me the flexibility of repairing/changing/upgrading components...as money becomes available.

But that doesn't answer your question, so wait for other inputs.

If speed is your only concern...try increasing the RAM installed. This is, historically, the best fix for those concerned with system speed.

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellInspiron8600.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 October 2008 - 01:52 PM.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

I have a laptop that am thinking about up grading, wondering if itís worth upgrading
or if I should build a new slimline desktop

I basically want it to be a little faster, my old AMD 850 athlon w/ 512MB of ram PC is faster
then this laptop.

I donít want to spend more then about $200 otherwise I could just get a barebones system
or something off Craigslist.

What form factor are needed to replace the parts below and can I upgrade the CPU?

Dell Inspiron 8600
Pentium 1.4 GHz
512 MB of RAM
NIVIDA GeForce FX Go5200
37 GB hard drive

With 200$ I would have you go to newegg and get a barebones PC, but that's just my opinion. I don't know how much you need the portability of a laptop. In my entire network I only have 1 laptop if the portability need ever arises.

Anyways... (enough of my babbling) looking around on Dell it appears that the Dell Inspiron 8600 uses DDR SDRAM. And the processor upgrades vary from laptop to laptop. Some have them soldered into the motherboard some don't. As I search around it looks like even Dell is trying to hide the specs of that model in a corner somewhere. So I couldn't tell you.

Now with a laptop as old as this one, I am sure of this. The Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 IS soldered into the motherboard and is not replaceable without pay a rather large sum of money.

And hard drives are also like processors some are soldered in some aren't. But I'm pretty sure that the hardrive on this model is not soldered in so it is upgradeable.

I really can't find all too much on this model.

But here, I will give you a link to some barebones in a price range of 200$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....00%20-%20%24200
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users