Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help with system restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 greg donovan

greg donovan

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

we did something dumb and clicked soem updates that caused a problem and changed all the text on the gateway to odd symbols.
:trumpet:
this was followed by another dumb thing. we decided to hit F11 during startup and initiated a system restore.
:inlove:
now the tablet pc looks like it did the day we took it out of the box a year ago.
:thumbsup:
all of the files are sitting in a file called My Backup dated for the 23rd. how do i get it back to the way it was before?
:flowers:

the computer is a gateway e 295 c tablet pc/notebook running windows XP Pro SP2

the icon she clicked for updates was the little yellow shield with ! on it. this was done by her while she had the computer at work last night so i am not 100% exactly sure what happened. apparently the update was for SP3.

is it really just as simple as copy/paste the file i want from the backup file into the location i want them to be in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 greg donovan

greg donovan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

well, it turns out that the warranty we bought covers getting this thing cleaned up so it might be OK.

anyone have any idea what the deal was with the text change?

edit:

got it back and everything seems OK.

Edited by greg donovan, 24 October 2008 - 06:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users