Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I install a fresh Windows98 OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 namagodai

namagodai

• Deactivated
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:45 AM

I installed WinXP on my laptop without checking the system requirements for XP. So I would like to re-install Win98. How do I delete ALL files on my laptop and install a fresh new windows98.

I'm sure I start off by doing it thru MS-DOS, but how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:15 AM

Hi namagodai. To wipe XP and reinstall a new copy of Win98 you will need to begin by using the Fdisk utility to wipe the current XP partition (even if it's a FAT32 partition it's still a good idea to fdisk it). Then you can reformat the drive and finally install Win98.

Before you do any of the above you will want to make sure that you have all of the drivers you need for the hardware that is in your machine such as Video, sound, modem etc. Windows 98 does not natively support much hardware and if you do not know the type of hardware in the machine you could have a hard time finding out later. You can get most of this information either from the documentation that came with the computer or by going into the Device Manager and writing it down. If your computer came with a drivers disk and the same hardware is in it now (or if you upgraded it and you still have the drivers disk that came with the new hardware) you're good to go.

Here are a couple of links on how to use Fdisk and how to do a Windows 98 installation:

FDISK SIMULATION
Microsoft's Windows 98 SE - CD Install on Blank Hard Drive

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users